[Ccb_gsr_listserv] Two Ecology Post Doc Positions

Loralee Larios loralee at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 18 10:22:42 PST 2024

Please share with any interested individuals:

Position 1: UC Davis

Dr. Justin Valliere is recruiting a Postdoc to work on a State-funded
project evaluating heat tolerance in the California flora to guide
conservation and restoration efforts. If you know any recent PhD graduates
at UCR (or elsewhere) that might be interested, please encourage them to
apply and/or reach out to me with any questions.

The job add is here <https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/JPF06238>.

Position 2: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Frost Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Ecological Informatics
<https://jobs.calpoly.edu/en-us/job/534964/frost-postdoctoral-research-fellow-ecological-informatics>

The Bailey College of Science and Mathematics at California Polytechnic
State University, San Luis Obispo is seeking a Frost Postdoctoral Research
Fellow in the area of ecological informatics. The Postdoctoral Research
Fellow will work with Dr. Tim Bean in Biological Sciences. The research
focuses on population and community modeling, integrating a variety of
novel monitoring techniques and machine learning. In addition, the Frost
Postdoctoral Research Fellow will help mentor undergraduate and Master’s
students and will have the opportunity to teach classes by separate
assignment as a part-time lecturer.

This position will begin Summer or Fall 2024 according to candidate’s
availability. The term of employment is one-year, with a second-year
possible based on performance and funding. The annual salary for this
position is $62,400, with full benefits, plus a travel allowance. This
position is supplemented by separate assignment pay as a part-time lecturer
for the teaching assignments.

Specific responsibilities will include:

   - Contribute to modernizing and analyzing a 17-year dataset of small
   mammal demographics and distribution using an integrated population model.
   - Propose and conduct research projects based on a new state-wide
   biodiversity monitoring platform using avian and bat acoustic monitors and
   camera traps.
   - Work with mentors to develop research project goals, including writing
   manuscripts and grant applications.
   - Participate in professional development activities, including
   attending national conferences.
   - Directly supervise research staff, including undergraduate and
   graduate students.
   - Receive mentorship and training in effective teaching practices and
   teach at least 1 undergraduate course during the fellowship under the
   mentorship of experienced faculty (paid by additional assignment as a
   part-time lecturer).

At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe
that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is
fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our
community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences
and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that
exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual
diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental
responsibility. Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in
recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University
is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.