[Ccb_gsr_listserv] CCB-SEEDS Gear Closet Giving Tuesday

Debbie Brown debbie.brown at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 27 13:16:06 PST 2023

UC Riverside is home to world-class ecological, environmental, agricultural, and other field-based research, and the next generation of scientists and undergraduate and graduate students can benefit significantly from being involved in field research. Field experiences like these not only give students insight into the actual processes of field-based research but also improve retention of students in ecology and decrease demographic disparities in student retention in the major.

The UCR Gear Closet will help ensure that students have equitable access to the valuable experiences that this research has to offer. Your Giving Tuesday<https://givingtuesday.ucr.edu/o/university-of-california-riverside/i/ucr-giving-tuesday-fy24/f/ccb-student-support-fund> donation to the CCB-SEEDS Student Research Gear Closet will help provide funding for outdoor clothing, gear, and equipment and impact the professional trajectory for students interested in science.

The goal of the Student Research Gear Closet is to make conducting field research more accessible by providing the following:

  1.  A physical closet to provide students with day-to-day outdoor clothing and equipment at no cost. Items include field shirts, field pants, sunscreen, snake gaiters, comfortable socks, and sunglasses.
  2.  Funds to cover the cost of renting larger items: Students are able to use our fund to rent tents, large backpacks, and other larger-ticket items from UCR’s Outdoor Excursions.
These two resources will be available to any students at UCR who are engaging in field-based research and activities. Donate to the CCB-SEEDS Student Support Fund<https://givingtuesday.ucr.edu/o/university-of-california-riverside/i/ucr-giving-tuesday-fy24/f/ccb-student-support-fund> today to assist in the purchase of these resources.

Thank you,

Ally Richards
she/her || PhD Candidate || Ezcurra Lab
Department of Botany & Plant Sciences
Center for Conservation Biology
University of California, Riverside
UCR occupies the ancestral lands of the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work on these homelands.