[Ccb_gsr_listserv] Riverside Virtual Insect Fair 2021!

Robin Doyle Testa robin.testa at ucr.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:56:27 PST 2021

The following message forwarded on behalf of Mari West, PhD Candidate with UCR Entomology. Please share as appropriate.

Hi Everyone,
I am excited to announce that the City of Riverside, along with UCR’s Entomology Department, has decided to hold a virtual Riverside Insect Fair this year, in lieu of the usual in-person event! The event will take place over the week of April 12th – 16th, 2021. If your research includes any aspect of entomology, we would be very excited for you to participate! We are looking for participants at every level to assist in putting together pre-recorded videos and/or participate in live-streamed activities during the event. Additionally, in lieu of the extremely popular touch-a-bug booth, we are looking for videos and images of as many insects as possible (either in the field or the lab) to showcase insect diversity. If you are interested in participating or have anything to contribute, please fill out this survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScp5WV_IVRoOeL12DkbwJCM4d0GT8y1Gm4oJu-1inSSgOrgGg/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
Some notes:
•  You do not need to have video editing skills – we will be working with Riverside GTV to edit all videos, which will include adding captioning to videos for accessibility. All pre-recorded videos will need to be submitted by March 26th.
•  You do not need professional equipment – videos can be recorded via zoom (or a similar application). Additionally, depending on demand, we may be able to lend out some cameras on a short-term basis. Let us know if you are interested in this.
•  We will have limited access to the Riverside GTV recording studio. Access is restricted to one person at a time, to ensure social distancing, and can be reserved on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you would like to record in a more professional space, let us know so we can reserve a space for you.
If you would like to contribute a video, we will need a little more information from you so that the city can advertise the event. Please fill out this form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fxBzB0IpcW3G2xwM_IVH7UTFU8HbjO_IzgEbzIkaYd0/edit#gid=0>, with a title and brief description of the video you will contribute.
If you would like to contribute a live video or plan to serve on one of our panels (preferably live, as well), please fill out this when2meet<https://www.when2meet.com/?11221692-ieShY> with your availability for the week of April 12-16, so that we can start scheduling the event. We still need more volunteers for each of our panel topics.
If you have any questions or ideas for fun virtual activities to add to the event, please contact Mari West (mwest008 at ucr.edu<mailto:mwest008 at ucr.edu>) or Tessa Shates (tshat003 at ucr.edu<mailto:tshat003 at ucr.edu>).
Many thanks,
Mari West
PhD Candidate
UCR Entomology