[Ccb_gsr_listserv] Fwd: ENTM 257: rare and threatened species (w/ special guest speakers)

Hollis hollis.woodard at ucr.edu
Fri Feb 26 10:19:13 PST 2021

Hi students,

I am co-teaching a grad seminar next quarter (w/ Boris Bar, Quinn
McFrederick, Nicole Rafferty, and Erin Wilson-Rankin) -- it's the
"pollination seminar" but I am hoping that students who have a general
interest in insect decline and conservation might also consider joining us
(see description below). I have some exciting guest speakers lined up from
USFWS and the Xerces Society who are going to tell us about their insect
conservation work in the non-academic sphere, so this might be a good way
to also learn about conservation-related careers in federal agencies and
nonprofits. Janet Franklin will also be speaking about species distribution
models and conservation.

*Class description: *The goal of the pollination seminar for spring 2021 is
to explore topics related to insect rarity and decline. We will use bumble
bees as one model system for considering species decline and conservation,
but will also discuss other rare and threatened groups, and student
presentations can focus on any insect species (including non-pollinators)
for which there is conservation protection under the Federal ESA and/or
CESA. Guest speakers from Federal agencies and non-profits will discuss
their work in insect conservation to expose students to non-academic
careers in insect research and conservation.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about the class! I hope you
can join us, I think it will be fun.

Hollis

--

*Dr. S. Hollis Woodard*