[Ccb_faculty] FW: CalBotSoc Speaker June 9: Avery Hill

Amy Litt amylitt at ucr.edu
Tue Jun 7 15:55:35 PDT 2022

CalBotSoc Speaker June 9: Avery Hill

*From:* The California Botanical Society [mailto:membership at calbotsoc.org]
*Sent:* Monday, June 6, 2022 10:51 PM
*To:* Amy Litt <amy.litt at ucr.edu>
*Subject:* CalBotSoc Speaker June 9: Avery Hill

Botany Speaker Series

Upcoming talk:

Avery Hill
Thursday

June 9th 2022
7-8 pm PT

"Vegetation-climate mismatch in California's
Sierra Nevada conifer forests*"*

<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=2a05e12116&e=b69ac08598>

Talk Description

Anticipating vegetation transitions is an important but undervalued
component of long-term wildfire management and adaptation in California's
Sierra Nevada conifer forests. Vegetation transitions are more likely where
the climate has become unsuitable but the species composition remains
static. Here we produce spatially explicit estimates of these areas of
vegetation-climate mismatch (VCM) within conifer-dominated forests in the
Sierra Nevada. We find that up to 20% of conifer forests––primarily along
the lower-elevation western and southern edges of the Sierras––are in VCM,
and that there's a strong relationship between our modeled habitat
suitability and observed transitions from conifer-dominated vegetation to
non-conifer vegetation (Mixed Chaparral, Mixed broadleaf forest, etc.) over
the last century.

*Join us this Thursday*
*June 9th, 2022*
*7-8 pm PT*

*Zoom link*
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=450250771d&e=b69ac08598>

Bio

Avery is an ecologist and plant biologist studying human impacts on plant
distributions. He sources and contributes to large-scale plant occurrence
datasets which he uses in statistical modeling research to address
questions related to the species composition and range limits of future
forests. Ultimately, his goal is to understand the biological and ethical
determinants of where plants belong in the Anthropocene.

*Talk Zoom link: *
*https://ucr.zoom.us/j/98594151297?pwd=NXlJQ1YrVW10a2N5d1BnRWVrMVdkZz09
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=96aec17a88&e=b69ac08598>*

<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=2bf6b872ed&e=b69ac08598>
*Upcoming dates! *

*2022 Botany Speaker Series *
June 9th: Avery hill, Stanford University
.
August 11: Helen Holmlund, Pepperdine University
.
.
November 10: Phebian Odufuwa, Boise State University

*Are **YOU** an early career botanist?*

*Want to give a talk in 2022 or 2023?Email us at membership at calbotsoc.org
<membership at calbotsoc.org;%20rlolliff at berkeley.edu?subject=Botany%20Speaker%20Series%20Talk>*

*Membership*
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=9a85ad9850&e=b69ac08598>

*Donate*
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=7f204e5079&e=b69ac08598>

[image: Facebook]
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=b3451d4186&e=b69ac08598>

[image: @CalBotSoc]
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=02512317fb&e=b69ac08598>

[image: @CalBotSoc]
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=7a26bcf939&e=b69ac08598>

[image: Website]
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=abce9023c1&e=b69ac08598>

*Copyright © 2021 The California Botanical Society, All rights reserved.*
*This email was sent to you because you are a current or recent member of
the California Botanical Society, or a botanically affiliated faculty
member (please forward to your students!)*

*Our mailing address is:*
California Botanical Society
c/o Jepson Herbarium
1001 Valley Life Sciences Building
Berkeley, California 94720-2465

unsubscribe
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=bd1ae25873&e=b69ac08598>

This email was sent to amy.litt at ucr.edu
*why did I get this?*
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/about?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=f435e548fd&e=b69ac08598&c=f07fe1bf9b>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=f435e548fd&e=b69ac08598&c=f07fe1bf9b>
    update subscription preferences
<https://calbotsoc.us7.list-manage.com/profile?u=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&id=f435e548fd&e=b69ac08598&c=f07fe1bf9b>
California Botanical Society · 1001 Valley Life Sciences Bldg · C/O Jepson
Herbarium · Berkeley, CA 94720-2465 · USA

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=c632809fa2b75323f2418bb1e&afl=1>