[Ccb_faculty] Fwd: Funds for grad students doing climate/env work

Sydney Glassman sydney.glassman at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 24 15:15:11 PST 2022

------

Dear Colleagues,

Would you be interested in hosting a medical student who has completed
their first year of med school to do 6-weeks of research in your lab? The
Planetary Health Center (under UC Health) is launching a pilot program that
pairs graduate students engaged in environmental/climate research with
medical students to encourage collaborations to increase climate-health
research on campus and provide our medical students hands-on experience
with environmental research. *The medical student and graduate student are
provided a $1500 stipend each ($3000 per pair) for participating in the
program.* We have enough funding this year to fund about 5 pairs.

This year the internships will be embedded in the existing Summer Research
and Externship Program at UCR SOM, but we hope it can eventually expand to
an independent program.

If you've ever hosted a BRIDGE student (community college transfers) for a
summer, it will be a similar experience to that, except the student will be
a few years more advanced in educational training. The medical students
would be most interested in projects related to health, but we are
specifically seeking projects that intersect health and environment.

*If you're open to trying it out, you would just need to submit project
descriptions to this link by Feb 28th (note that you can pitch both virtual
and in-person projects):*

https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9nNpyyatEXBfxaK

Here is the booklet for the projects offered last year, which was only
focused on medical research (no environmental topics):

https://somsa.ucr.edu/sites/g/files/rcwecm1351/files/2021-03/summer_research_externship_program.pdf

Please feel free to forward this to whomever you think would be interested.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
sam

--