[Ccb_faculty] FW: SKR DOWNLISTING - WE COULDN"T DO It WITHOUT YOU

Debbie Brown debbie.brown at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 17 09:17:37 PST 2022

Begin forwarded message:
From: Brian Shomo <bshomo at wrcog.us<mailto:bshomo at wrcog.us>>
Date: February 17, 2022 at 6:39:05 AM HST
To: "AMarks (AMarks at mwdh2o.com<mailto:AMarks at mwdh2o.com>)" <AMarks at mwdh2o.com<mailto:AMarks at mwdh2o.com>>, Annika Rose-Person <arose012 at ucr.edu<mailto:arose012 at ucr.edu>>, "Gettis, Aaron" <AGettis at rivco.org<mailto:AGettis at rivco.org>>, "Asef,Tania S (TAsef at mwdh2o.com<mailto:TAsef at mwdh2o.com>)" <TAsef at mwdh2o.com<mailto:TAsef at mwdh2o.com>>, David and Gail Barton <bartonranchers at gmail.com<mailto:bartonranchers at gmail.com>>, "Bridges, Bradd" <bradd_bridges at fws.gov<mailto:bradd_bridges at fws.gov>>, "Himelright, Brendan M" <brendan_himelright at fws.gov<mailto:brendan_himelright at fws.gov>>, "Bill Weiser (Bill.Weiser at fire.ca.gov<mailto:Bill.Weiser at fire.ca.gov>)" <Bill.Weiser at fire.ca.gov<mailto:Bill.Weiser at fire.ca.gov>>, Carolyn Syms Luna <csluna10 at gmail.com<mailto:csluna10 at gmail.com>>, "Chan, Eric at Wildlife" <Eric.Chan at wildlife.ca.gov<mailto:Eric.Chan at wildlife.ca.gov>>, Cindy Daverin <Cjones171 at cox.net<mailto:Cjones171 at cox.net>>, "Campbell, Tricia" <tcampbell at rivco.org<mailto:tcampbell at rivco.org>>, "McLain, Dustin" <DMclain at rivco.org<mailto:DMclain at rivco.org>>, Debra Shier <DShier at sdzwa.org<mailto:DShier at sdzwa.org>>, Debra Shier <dmshier at g.ucla.edu<mailto:dmshier at g.ucla.edu>>, "deanne.dipietro (deanne.dipietro at consbio.org<mailto:deanne.dipietro at consbio.org>)" <deanne.dipietro at consbio.org<mailto:deanne.dipietro at consbio.org>>, "Harich, David" <dharich at wm.com<mailto:dharich at wm.com>>, Edith Allen <eallen at ucr.edu<mailto:eallen at ucr.edu>>, edith.allen at ucr.edu<mailto:edith.allen at ucr.edu>, Francisco Gonzalez <fgonzalez at wrcog.us<mailto:fgonzalez at wrcog.us>>, Gladwin Joseph <gladwin.joseph at consbio.org<mailto:gladwin.joseph at consbio.org>>, "Bratcher, Gregg at CALFIRE" <Gregg.Bratcher at fire.ca.gov<mailto:Gregg.Bratcher at fire.ca.gov>>, Harry Sandoval <hsandoval at wrcog.us<mailto:hsandoval at wrcog.us>>, "Hendron, Jane" <Jane_Hendron at fws.gov<mailto:Jane_Hendron at fws.gov>>, "Pert, Heather at Wildlife" <Heather.Pert at wildlife.ca.gov<mailto:Heather.Pert at wildlife.ca.gov>>, "Halama, Ken" <kjhalama at ucr.edu<mailto:kjhalama at ucr.edu>>, "Hopkins, Todd at CALFIRE" <Todd.Hopkins at fire.ca.gov<mailto:Todd.Hopkins at fire.ca.gov>>, jhoffman at biomonitoringrca.org<mailto:jhoffman at biomonitoringrca.org>, "Thiede, James H" <james_thiede at fws.gov<mailto:james_thiede at fws.gov>>, "James Gannon (jgannon at blm.gov<mailto:jgannon at blm.gov>)" <jgannon at blm.gov<mailto:jgannon at blm.gov>>, James Powell <jamespowell at altaplanning.com<mailto:jamespowell at altaplanning.com>>, "Karin Cleary-Rose (Karin_Cleary-Rose at fws.gov<mailto:Karin_Cleary-Rose at fws.gov>)" <Karin_Cleary-Rose at fws.gov<mailto:Karin_Cleary-Rose at fws.gov>>, "Brown, Kayla" <kbrown at blm.gov<mailto:kbrown at blm.gov>>, "Knott, Pamela at CCC" <Pamela.Knott at ccc.ca.gov<mailto:Pamela.Knott at ccc.ca.gov>>, "Kietzer, Ken at Parks" <Ken.Kietzer at parks.ca.gov<mailto:Ken.Kietzer at parks.ca.gov>>, Kim Klementowski <kklementowski at cnlm.org<mailto:kklementowski at cnlm.org>>, Loralee Larios <loralee.larios at ucr.edu<mailto:loralee.larios at ucr.edu>>, Shelli Lamb <lamb at rcrcd.org<mailto:lamb at rcrcd.org>>, Michael Allen <mallen at ucr.edu<mailto:mallen at ucr.edu>>, "Messin, Joseph" <joseph.messin at ucr.edu<mailto:joseph.messin at ucr.edu>>, "Zambon, Mary" <MZAMBON at rivco.org<mailto:MZAMBON at rivco.org>>, "OKeefe, Shea - NRCS, Escondido, CA" <shea.okeefe at usda.gov<mailto:shea.okeefe at usda.gov>>, Princess Hester <phester at wrcog.us<mailto:phester at wrcog.us>>, Riana Fisher <rfisher at wrcog.us<mailto:rfisher at wrcog.us>>, richard.kim at wildlife.ca.gov<mailto:richard.kim at wildlife.ca.gov>, "Williams, Robert" <RoWilliams at rivco.org<mailto:RoWilliams at rivco.org>>, "Randy Solis (Randyping44 at yahoo.com<mailto:Randyping44 at yahoo.com>)" <Randyping44 at yahoo.com<mailto:Randyping44 at yahoo.com>>, Kerwin Russell <russell at rcrcd.org<mailto:russell at rcrcd.org>>, Rachel Chock <RChock at sandiegozoo.org<mailto:RChock at sandiegozoo.org>>, "Smith, Rachel - NRCS, Redlands, CA" <rachel.a.smith at usda.gov<mailto:rachel.a.smith at usda.gov>>, "Sobiech, Scott" <scott_sobiech at fws.gov<mailto:scott_sobiech at fws.gov>>, "Swaller, Amanda R" <amanda_swaller at fws.gov<mailto:amanda_swaller at fws.gov>>, "Sewell, Scott" <SSewell at dfg.ca.gov<mailto:SSewell at dfg.ca.gov>>, Steve Montgomery <steve at sjmbio.com<mailto:steve at sjmbio.com>>, Sydney Glassman <sydney.glassman at ucr.edu<mailto:sydney.glassman at ucr.edu>>, Tricia Campbell <tcampbell at rctc.org<mailto:tcampbell at rctc.org>>, Wayne Spencer <wdspencer at consbio.org<mailto:wdspencer at consbio.org>>, zprincipe at tnc.org<mailto:zprincipe at tnc.org>
Subject: SKR DOWNLISTING - WE COULDN"T DO It WITHOUT YOU

Hi all,

Today marks a momentous day for our region, after 30 years the United States Fish and Wildlife Service has officially downlisted the Stephen’s kangaroo rat from endangered to threatened.   The RCHCA would like to thank each and every one of you who has made this possible.  This email list is far from exhaustive so if I left someone out or no longer have their email list please pass this message along.   It starts with the Reserve managers, land managers, Rangers, and technicians who get their boots dirty everyday working during the hottest summers and cold winters.  Your management of SKR and its habitat ensures the species is there for the next generation.   You folks rarely get acknowledged and often times go unrecognized by the public, the elected, and all too often the upper management within your organizations but to the RCHCA you’re the heroes who make things happen and change the status quo.    The RCHCA thanks you and is there if you ever need anything.

We would also like to express our sincere thanks to those who work so tirelessly on the regulatory side of the shop.  Without you ensuring that everyone is pulling in the same direction, working from the same play book, and enforcing the rules which our region committed to, we wouldn’t be here today.   It’s not lost on us and certainly not forgotten by those that have been here long enough to remember the battles that have been waged and all too often continue, over the adoption and implementation of the these HCPs.   Your work over the years has ensured that the land is protected so that we can someday recover the species through proper management and monitoring.    You’re often out of site, but always in our thoughts for your work in the trenches.    The RCHCA salutes you and looks forward to working with all of you for many years to come in our efforts to help recover the species.

Thirdly, the RCHCA has relied on the wisdom and knowledge of the academic community and the researchers for so many of the last 30 years to develop new methods and new insights for managing and monitoring the species.   It’s your collective thought and ability to visualize new approaches that has moved the ball forward and made our area develop cost effective methods for large scale management.   All too often, the demands of your tenure require publication over long term studies but we have always understood that good things take time and have attempted to support your work for the long haul.   I believe it has paid off in spades and allowed the Service the robust evidence they require to defend this status determination.   We sincerely appreciate your efforts and recognize that their importance moving forward if we ultimately recover the species.

Fourth, the RCHCA wishes to recognize the stakeholders that fought on both sides for the last 30 years.   Some haven’t always supported the HCP and some wanted more, but on this day we demonstrate progress, that HCPs are an important tool to conserve habitat and recover species while also ensuring a consistent approach to mitigating our regions development.   That rare species can co-exist alongside our communities and if planned properly, may even thrive someday.   Your passion and commitment is certainly appreciated and we’ve strived to balance conservation with development, and while not perfect, we feel most folks are treated fairly.   We only ask that your passion for the issues remains in the future, because it’s the passion and the debate that makes us stronger.

Finally, I’d like to personally thank a few specific people who in my opinion changed the trajectory of the species.   Carolyn Syms-Luna, retired RCHCA Director, who decided if the RCHCA was going to own some land, then we should be managing it and decided to hire 3 people to take on a big task.   Her foresight is what brought our Agency to where we are today.  Gail Barton, retired RCHCA Principle Planner, who came to us as an impacted land owner and became our biggest advocate and one of the most determined and committed persons I’ve ever seen.  40 years later your still committed to the last round.    Princess Hester, RCHCA Administrative Director, who endlessly takes on more responsibility, continually trying to improve our system and always has a contagious positivity.  You’re the perfect ambassador for our Agency, for SKR, and for our region.   James Gannon, BLM, who has done more on the ground for SKR than anyone.  Most folks don’t realize how much James brings to the game, but when he retires someday, we’re all going to look around and say “why doesn’t that get done anymore” and it will be because we’re missing the best land manager and fireman I’ve ever met.

This isn’t the end by far, there’s still much to be done.  In the coming months and years we’ll begin rolling out the SKR rangewide monitoring plan to begin understanding SKR population dynamics in more detail and determine its future status.   We’ll continue to lean heavily on your backs that have carried us this far.   The RCHCA raises its glass to each and every one of you.  So Proud!!

P.S.   Below is the press release from the Service.

Thank you,

Brian Shomo
RCHCA Director
Riverside County Habitat Conservation Agency
3390 University Ave., Suite 200
Riverside, CA 92501-3609
Phone: (951) 840-8070

Promoting Conservation, Coordination, Education & Collaboration

Click to follow us……
[cid:image002.png at 01D30536.8F3AE1D0]<http://www.skrplan.org/>    [cid:image006.png at 01D29726.6502A7F0] <http://www.wrcog.cog.ca.us/>     [cid:image004.png at 01D30536.8F3AE1D0] <https://www.facebook.com/RCHCASKR/?ref=nf>   [Image result for twitter logo] <https://twitter.com/rchcainfo>  [instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/_rchca/>

Confidentiality Disclaimer
This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.
If you are not the author's intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete all copies, both electronic and printed, and contact the author immediately.
Riverside<http://www.countyofriverside.us/> County Habitat Conservation Agency

Partnerships Help Recover Stephens' Kangaroo Rat
Species Will Be Reclassified From Endangered to Threatened

After more than 30 years of conservation efforts by federal, state and local partners, today the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced the reclassification of the Stephens’ kangaroo rat from endangered to threatened under the Endangered Species Act. A concurrent 4(d) rule will provide additional management flexibility for landowners within the species’ range to conduct weed and fire management activities, and other beneficial actions outlined in approved management plans.
The Service made the determination using the best available science which evaluated current and future threats to the species, with the most significant impact being habitat loss. The final rule incorporates comments and information submitted on the proposed rule, including updated habitat modeling from the Conservation Biology Institute.
“The Stephens’ kangaroo rat habitat conservation plan, managed by the Riverside County Habitat Conservation Agency, has minimized threats to the species by conserving 19,000 acres of habitat,” said Scott Sobiech, field supervisor of the Service’s Carlsbad Fish and Wildlife Office. “This type of planning in Southern California, along with extensive conservation actions by multiple partners has been critical to moving this native mammal toward recovery.”
The Stephens’ kangaroo rat was discovered at four additional geographical locations since being listed as endangered in 1988, and its status has improved to the point that it is not currently in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range.
The threat of habitat loss has been significantly reduced through the development and implementation of two habitat conservation plans (HCP), and management efforts by three military installations.
The historic range of the kangaroo rat includes portions of Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego counties. Lands supporting the kangaroo rat include federal, state, local and privately owned lands. Although there are documented occurrences of Stephens’ kangaroo rats on Tribal land, the Service has not relied on any Tribal land in the recovery of the species.
In Riverside County, eight core reserves for the species are supported through the Riverside County Habitat Conservation Agency’s (RCHCA) Stephens’ kangaroo rat HCP, while additional habitat is protected under the Western Riverside County Regional Conservation Authority’s (RCA) Western Riverside County Multiple Species HCP.
RCHCA acquired and manages the core reserves for the benefit of Stephens’ kangaroo rat. This past year RCHCA partnered with the Service, the Bureau of Land Management and the Conservation Biology Institute to develop a range-wide management and monitoring strategy to guide long-term conservation for the species. RCHCA also worked with the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance to facilitate new research. Additionally, the RCA continues to acquire and conserve SKR habitat, and track species population densities.
The Department of Defense is also managing habitat for the species on Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, on Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach Detachment Fallbrook, and within Navy Base Coronado’s Remote Training Site Warner Springs in San Diego County. Each of the installations have developed integrated natural resources management plans that support the long-term conservation of the species through measures such as providing undeveloped land and maintaining suitable habitat through vegetation management using rotational cattle grazing and mowing.
Other partners contributing to the long-term conservation of the species include the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Cleveland National Forest, and the United States Geological Survey.
Stephens’ kangaroo rats are small mammals that live in warm, arid environments. They have fur-lined external cheek pouches used to transport seeds and large hind legs used for jumping.
The final downlisting rule is available for public view today in the Federal Register. The rule will publish in the Federal Register tomorrow, at which time all documents and supporting information will be available at www.regulations.gov<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.regulations.gov%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cjessica_dambrosio%40fws.gov%7Cef7d110f8b1b4c06217c08d9f0ce102d%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637805590101612797%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=MuOjniJdr9Orh7RxqcLLm2axxa3lZkfFSs37QWeHUWk%3D&reserved=0> by searching Docket No. FWS-R8-ES-2019-0113.
Photos of the Stephens’ kangaroo rat are available here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/usfws_pacificsw/albums/72157715290242707<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fusfws_pacificsw%2Falbums%2F72157715290242707&data=04%7C01%7Cjessica_dambrosio%40fws.gov%7Cef7d110f8b1b4c06217c08d9f0ce102d%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637805590101612797%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=IRCA5KVBDyK7V%2BOmPIZUsX%2Bqp83cXuSw%2BzpYAWcl1zw%3D&reserved=0>.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service works with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. For more information about our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov/cno<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fws.gov%2Fcno&data=04%7C01%7Cjessica_dambrosio%40fws.gov%7Cef7d110f8b1b4c06217c08d9f0ce102d%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637805590101612797%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=70fJrszGBvqChJ6yw7mTcMF7WRPPKel7Wee0XgnWvtA%3D&reserved=0> or connect with us via Facebook<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fusfwspacificsouthwest%3Fref%3Dhl&data=04%7C01%7Cjessica_dambrosio%40fws.gov%7Cef7d110f8b1b4c06217c08d9f0ce102d%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637805590101612797%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=9hqLnZkrM%2BXGrz%2Fbc20uOExH6%2FIdx%2BokUoHnwmk5KbQ%3D&reserved=0>, Twitter<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FUSFWSPacSWest&data=04%7C01%7Cjessica_dambrosio%40fws.gov%7Cef7d110f8b1b4c06217c08d9f0ce102d%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637805590101612797%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=lYcR2Wg513s1zBRHf1ybcAdqro4Qm7iMLxiCldPMa6Y%3D&reserved=0>, YouTube<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fusfws&data=04%7C01%7Cjessica_dambrosio%40fws.gov%7Cef7d110f8b1b4c06217c08d9f0ce102d%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637805590101612797%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=Qql2EO1akNZP7iJ%2FFi2AIe7IGOmN0xtO%2FTdPq5Uq%2FTg%3D&reserved=0> and Flickr<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fusfws_pacificsw&data=04%7C01%7Cjessica_dambrosio%40fws.gov%7Cef7d110f8b1b4c06217c08d9f0ce102d%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637805590101769017%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=bH5njxupkCDlshFUaimssikkxNLpg0nY4xTxSxulBKY%3D&reserved=0>.

-FWS-