[CaTEACH-SMI] ROOM CHANGE - STEM Lecture Series - Dr. Pamela Clute

Leslie Bushong leslie.bushong at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 11 08:42:11 PST 2010

*Please note location has been changed to HUB 355

LECTURE SERIES FOR WOMEN STUDENTS IN STEM

(Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)

Energizing and Inspiring High

Performance in Mathematics and

Science

Fifty eight percent of the nation's college population is female, yet less
than 1/3 major in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM).
Often these women have the ability to study these fields, but they lack the
passion. The seeds of success in mathematics and science must be planted
early in life through engaging experiences, rigorous academics, motivational
teaching and connections to role models.

This will be a high-energy presentation with opportunity for audience
interaction. Research based comments will focus on the importance of
mathematics and science education to our country's economic vitality, our
personal quality of life and our national security; using interesting and
relevant real life examples that inspire and set the stage for meaningful
and continued learning.

Dr. Pamela Clute

Assistant Vice Provost, Academic Partnership

February 11, 2010

12:00 Noon-1:30 PM

*HUB 355

Please RSVP to Sonia Zamora at soniaz at ucr.edu

 The Lecture Series for Women Students in STEM is designed to highlight the
work, research, and careers of women and men in STEM fields at UC Riverside.
The goals of the series is to showcase our own women and men faculty,
researchers and administrators.  The campus is moving in new and
unprecedented directions in promoting women STEM majors.  The series will
provide opportunities for women students in STEM to interconnect, grow, and
achieve success by interacting with successful role models on campus.

Cosponsored by the Division of Diversity, Excellence and Equity, the Women's
Resource Center, the Medical Scholars Program and a Steering Committee
composed of women and men across the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering
and Mathematics) departments at UC Riverside