[CaTEACH-SMI] Professional Development Opportunity

Leslie Bushong leslie.bushong at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 22 13:28:02 PST 2009

Riverside-San Bernardino County Math Teacher's Association
(RSBCMTA) presents...

Paper Folding With Standards
Thursday, January 29, 2009
5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Paper folding in math? I don't have enough days in the year to get
everything done now and you want me to fold paper too? Origami is
often regarded as "fun" or even "a waste of time" by administrators
and teachers alike but of no real use in a standards-based
curriculum. Certainly it cannot be used to teach the math standards,
right? How often have we heard or thought this very thing ourselves?

Join our presenters (Linda Faulk, Shirley Roath, and Davida Fischman)
for Paper-Folding 101 and see how this ancient technique can be
utilized to teach and reinforce the California Math Standards at all
levels from elementary through high school. Learn how you can engage
your students in real mathematics with this simple, readily-available
resource using hands-on activities without neglecting the important
teaching you need to be doing in your classroom everyday! Guess what?
You will still be teaching the grade-level standards and keeping your
students motivated!

Don't miss this opportunity to network with other teachers of
mathematics in Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Invite parents,
administrators, pre-service teachers or another teacher from your
site. The cost is $10.00 for members of RSBCMTA* and $15.00 for
non-members and includes the meal and the materials  The deadline for
registration is Monday, January 26, 2008.

This Network Dinner will be held at the San Bernardino City Schools
Education Development Center in San Bernardino. The Center is located
on the lower level at the west end of  the Carousel Mall next to the
I-215 freeway in San Bernardino. Exit Second Street from the I-215
and head east. Turn left into the Carousel Mall parking lot. If you
park in the lower parking lot at the southwest corner of the mall
then enter the double glass doors nearest the parking lot on the mall
lower level.

There are three ways to register for the RSBCMTA Dinner Meeting:
1) Register online: http://oms.sbcss.k12.ca.us/eventdetail.php?id=21546
2) Fax 909-386-2667
3) Contact Cesar Contreras at 909-386-2623 or
Cesar_Contreras at sbcss.k12.ca.us or contact Annette Kitagawa: akitagawa at rcoe.us.

* RSBCMTA Membership is $10.00 for one year and $18.00 for two years
(check payable to RSBCMTA) which you can submit at the next dinner
meeting or send to: Stacey MacPherson, RSBCMTA Treasurer, 2730
Placentia Street, San Jacinto, CA 92582.

SMI Financial Assistance:
To apply for financial support toward the registration fee ($15),
please submit the SMI Pre-Professional Development Support
application (see attached) to the SMI Resource Center (1104 Pierce Hall).

Leslie Bushong
Director, California Teach-Science/Mathematics Initiative (CaTEACH-SMI)
1104 Pierce Hall
University of California, Riverside
voice: (951) 827-4970
fax: (951) 827-4971