[CaTEACH-SMI] SMI Newsletter -- Summer Edition

Leslie Bushong leslie.bushong at ucr.edu
Fri Aug 7 07:58:35 PDT 2009

		SMI CONNECTIONSContact UsCaTEACH-SMI Resource CenterUC
Riverside1104 Pierce HallRiverside, CA
92521http://smi.ucr.edusmi@ucr.edu(951) 827-4970 [voice](951)827-4971
[fax]Administrative Assistant:Allison ClarkStaff Director:Leslie
BushongFaculty Director: Bradley HymanVolume II, Issue 2 Summer, 2009

 resource library Expansion

	Contact UsCaTEACH-SMI Resource CenterUC Riverside1104 Pierce
HallRiverside, CA 92521http://smi.ucr.edusmi@ucr.edu(951) 827-4970
[voice](951)827-4971 [fax]Administrative Assistant:Allison ClarkStaff
Director:Leslie BushongFaculty Director: Bradley HymanIn this IssueResource
Library ExpansionNewly Remodeled WebsiteApprentice Program: CUSP &
CMSTTeaching Credential Candidates Bound for SuccessNSF Funds NEW UCR-Noyce
ScholarshipsOnline CSET ResourcesSave Upcoming Dates

Introduce yourself to the expansion of materials at the SMI Resource Center.
Two brand-new Dell Vostro 1520 Laptops are now available to SMI students for
in-office usage.  These laptops are dedicated to enhance pre-teaching
preparation such as, but not limited to :

. Preparation for the CBEST and CSET examinations

. Developing your classroom lesson plans

. Expanding your professional portfolio

. EDUC 3 and EDUC 4 online journal entries

To learn more, visit  the SMI Resource Center. Our weekly hours are posted
at http://smi.ucr.edu/hours.html.

	In this IssueResource Library ExpansionNewly Remodeled
WebsiteApprentice Program: CUSP & CMSTTeaching Credential Candidates Bound
for SuccessNSF Funds NEW UCR-Noyce ScholarshipsOnline CSET ResourcesSave
Upcoming DatesNEWLY REMODELED WEBSITEIn late spring/early summer, the SMI
website received a major make-over. Please visit our new website at
http://smi.ucr.edu.
		In Spring 2009, thirteen SMI candidates were selected
through a formal application and interview process to participate in two SMI
and ALPHA Apprentice Programs: CUSP (College University School Partnership)
and CMST (California Mathematics Science Teacher Initiative ) for 2009-10.
Apprenticeships began this Summer with each apprentice assigned to a mentor
teacher, who will provide a rich set of experiences to enhance
pre-professional preparation. On average, each apprentice will complete 30
to 50 hours per quarter, earning an hourly salary of $25.00. Please
congratulate the following SMI Students:  * Adam Brown * Karina Rodriguez *
Kayla Bui * Fallyn Thompson * Chiara Hodgkinson * Phi Truong * Linda Le *
Chuong Vu * Yahaira Martinez-Lopez * Toby Walker * Roger Portillo * Nicole
Yumori * Jennifer Prins CONGRATULATIONS!To learn more about CUSP and CMST,
please visit http://smi.ucr.edu/jobs.html#cmst.APPRENTICE PROGRAMS: CUSP &
CMST CUSPTeaching Credential candidates bound for successNathan Boss

Nsf grant funds NEW  ucr-Noyce scholarships

	FREE Online CSET ResourcesUCI OpenCourseWare
(http://ocw.uci.edu/courses/)The UC Irvine OpenCourseWare continues to
expand.   Current study materials include coverage of the following subject
domains:.        CSET Mathematicso       Subtest I: Algebrao       Subtest
II: Geometry, Probability and Statisticso       Subtest III: Trigonometry
and Calculus.        CSET Scienceo       Subtest I: Astronomyo       Subtest
I: Earth Scienceo       Subtest I: Electricity and Magnetismo       Subtest
I: Forces and Motiono       Subtest I: Optics and WavesFor more information,
please visit http://ocw.uci.edu/courses/.The National Science Foundation
(NSF) has awarded UC Riverside the Robert Noyce Scholarships for Excellence
in STEM Teaching. These special scholarships are available exclusively to
future science and mathematics teachers majoring in a STEM discipline. For
the 2009-10 academic year, multiple scholarships at $10,000 per student will
be awarded. Application deadlines are: ALPHA Center

SAVE UPCOMING DATES

August 8, 2009

             CBEST <http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/>   Examination

September 12, 2009

             CSET Examination <http://www.cset.nesinc.com/>

October 14, 2009

             Teaching Mathematics and Science for the 21st Century
<http://smi.ucr.edu/training.html>  Community Event

September 1 - October 3, 2009

             Spring 2010 Integrated Teaching Program Application Period

MENTOR TEACHERS NEEDED

In partnership with credentialed science and mathematics teachers at the
local school districts, SMI has created a successful paradigm for recruiting
and preparing STEM (science, technology, and mathematics) students for
possible future careers in science and mathematics education.  To continue
with our mission, we are always looking for active involvement of dedicated
credentialed teachers.  To get involved as an SMI Mentor Teacher, please
visit http://smi.ucr.edu/mentor_teachers.html.