[CaTEACH-SMI] GSOE Colloquium -- 3/19/07

Leslie Bushong leslie.bushong at ucr.edu
Thu Mar 15 10:47:16 PDT 2007

Graduate School of Education

Invites you to attend a colloquium by

Cynthia Grutzik, Ph.D.
Director of  Teacher Education Program
Pacific Oaks College, Pasadena

“A Role in the Cycle: Our Observable Impact on
Students, Schools and Communities”

Monday, March 19, 2007
1:30-2:30 p.m.
Sproul Hall 1215
(Education Conference Room)

A university is a vibrant presence in a
community, and the Teacher Education Program at
UC Riverside is no exception.  Consider the cycle
that occurs if we do our work well in preparing
teachers and leaders for public schools. Children
go to school – our candidates become their
teachers and principals. Students go to college –
our teachers and principals are among the
greatest influence on students in making this critical step.
College students join a teacher education program
–departments across the campus articulate with
the Teacher Education Program to ensure a pool of
candidates with diverse skills, interests, and
backgrounds .Our teachers and principals move out
into schools – we follow our candidates and offer
support, track their students’ learning,
investigate the kinds of strategies they are
using. Children go to school – our candidates are
there. Aspects of this cycle are observable, and
demonstrate the impact that a dynamic
professional preparation program can have on a
community.  This implies that we are using best
practices with our candidates, conducting
research on each step of the cycle, and taking
our role seriously as shapers of children’s
education.  In my talk, I will discuss these
issues, and their implications for how we work
with pre-service and practicing teachers and school leaders.

Leslie Bushong
Staff Director
California Teach-Science/Mathematics Initiative (CaTEACH-SMI)
1104 Pierce Hall
University of California, Riverside
voice: (951) 827-4970
fax: (951) 827-4971