[Bpspis] FW: EH&S survey for Batchelor Hall residents during renovation Phase 0

April Meinzer april.meinzer at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 22 12:59:38 PDT 2021

Hello Batchelor Hall Residents,

EH&S has developed this survey to assess your needs during Phase 0 of the upcoming renovation. This period consists of the demolition of the mechanical penthouses on the main building and on the south wing which will involve disconnection of all exhaust systems on the roof. It will translate to significant noise, vibration and potentially dust throughout the main Batchelor Hall building. Until bidding and bid analysis is complete, we will be unable to provide a final schedule, however, we would expect the contractor to begin to mobilize and make ready for construction beginning with Phase 0 by the end of November or early December. We hope to gather information from you to be prepared for immediate discussions with the contractor about occupant safety and continuity at that time.

Take the survey<https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cTv9EM8o5swOWx0>

When answering the questions, consider your needs during the 4 to 5 weeks at the end of December/beginning of January.  If bids are favorable, the demolition of the penthouses could start immediately following fall quarter finals and continue through winter break. The process of doing construction in an existing building often times uncovers unforeseen conditions which could push demolition of the penthouses to extend beyond two weeks, but the construction team will do all they can to complete this major disruptive demolition in as short a schedule as possible. The most disruptive work will last approximately 2 to 3 weeks during the break and operations will likely run 24 hours a day and 7 days a week excluding Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

UCR Planning, Design, & Construction (PDC) and EH&S advises all occupants to work remotely during this time, as noise volume will likely require hearing protection, dust may be randomly released into the air, building access will be limited and restricted at times, and fume hoods will not be operational during some or all of this demolition activity. As soon as the major demolition of the penthouses is complete,  EHS and PDC will work with the occupants and contractor on getting the most critical fume hoods operational as quickly as possible by providing temporary exhaust fans (likely mounted on the roof-and connected with flexible duct). Fume hoods have to be verified for proper air flow each time service is disrupted, so it is difficult to ramp up and down throughout the project. Once the successful bidder (Contractor) has been selected we will know more, but the worst case scenario could be 4 to 5 weeks without some fume hoods in continuous usable service and access to some areas of the building could be limited or restricted.

As you complete the survey, please focus on your critical needs since it will be difficult to do much more. If things change and are not as restrictive we can relax a bit but this is really a time to plan for maintenance of critical operations only. Access to the building should be limited to employees only (which includes paid students). Unpaid students should not be used to check up on these operations unless EH&S has approved of the specific circumstances and there is an employee supervising that student onsite. Any chemicals stored in fume hoods that are not part of the critical operations will need to be moved either into another storage location or be disposed of by Hazardous Waste. If experiments can be placed on hold that would of course be best. We will make every effort to help find solutions for operations that have to continue but in some cases the safety of the contractors and other people in the building may have to take precedence.

Thanks,
Patrick Monnig
Chemical Hygiene Officer/Lab Safety Supervisor

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA RIVERSIDE
Environmental Health & Safety
900 University Avenue | Riverside, CA 92521
(951) 827-4254 | patrick.monnig at ucr.edu<mailto:patrick.monnig at ucr.edu>

(951) 827-4254 | patrick.monnig at ucr.edu<mailto:patrick.monnig at ucr.edu>  |Controlled Substances: ehscs at ucr.edu<mailto:ehscs at ucr.edu>
[customer service signature image]<https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bgbyYMVNTOtXyhD>