[Bphystudent] [Ssb_members] Upcoming Biophysics Seminar (03/08/2024)

Navaira Sherwani navaira.sherwani at email.ucr.edu
Mon Feb 26 08:00:00 PST 2024

Dear All,

We are happy to announce the next seminar in our fortnightly series of
Biophysics Seminars coming up at the end of next week, during which Dr.
Sean O'Leary from the Department of Biochemistry will be giving a talk
featuring his work on eukaryotic translation. Details about the talk can be
found below:

*Location*: HUB 260 (Second Floor)

*Date + Time*: Friday, March 8th, from 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM

*Speaker*: Dr. Sean O'Leary

*Title:* Single-Molecule Dynamics of Eukaryotic Translation Initiation
*Abstract: *Initiation of protein synthesis in eukaryotes requires an
exquisitely dynamic collaboration between the ribosome, messenger RNA,
initiator tRNA, and a constellation of protein translation factors. These
dynamics must be harnessed to ensure efficient and faithful selection of
mRNA for translation, ribosome loading, and start-site identification. We
have developed and deployed a range of single-molecule fluorescence assays
to probe each of these aspects of the initiation mechanism. Our findings
underscore the central role played by mRNA in establishing and regulating
initiation dynamics. They also reveal inherently different mechanistic
design principles for achieving a common biochemical goal in yeast and
humans. Our data provide a fine-grained molecular-mechanistic view of a
central process in gene expression.

For those who cannot attend in person, this talk is also available online.
*Zoom Link:*
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/96411577839?pwd=cFE1NHA5ZUdheWM5ZjJNK2RHcWdmUT09

Meeting ID: 964 1157 7839
Passcode: 549766

Coffee and Pizza will be served at the location!

I would like to request the faculty to forward these to their department
graduate students and postdocs. A note to Biophysics students, this seminar
counts towards the BPHY 252 seminar series.

Thank You!

Best regards,

--
*Navaira Sherwani*