[Bphyfaculty] GRE Admissions Requirement Removal – Biophysics Graduate Program

Seán O'Leary seano at ucr.edu
Thu Mar 14 14:26:22 PDT 2024

Dear Biophysics Colleagues,

The Biophysics Graduate Program proposes to remove our current requirement for applicants to submit GRE General and Subject tests as part of the admissions process. This requirement was temporarily suspended during and since the pandemic. Following consultation and a request from Graduate Division, now we propose to make the change permanent, in alignment with many graduate programs at UCR and nationally.

Removal of the GRE requirement requires Senate approval of a program/catalog change. Attached please find our program change proposal. GRE-requirement removal must also be accompanied by implementation of a rubric for graduate admissions. Our proposed rubric is modeled on other already-approved rubrics and is attached here for your reference.

The proposed program changes requires a faculty vote. We would appreciate your voting by response to this e-mail – “yes“ or “no” – by Wednesday, March 20th, 2024. We ask that you please do not “Reply All" in casting your vote.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best wishes,

Roya Zandi, Director
Seán O’Leary, Chair of Admissions

Seán O’Leary