[Botanypostdoc] Data Science as a Team Sport

R-Ladies Riverside riverside at rladies.org
Fri Dec 4 16:56:26 PST 2020

Hello RiveRside!

Join us for our next virtual meeting of learning and networking,
Thursday, December 10th, at 5:00 PM (PST). We will hear from Gabriela de
Queiroz, founder of R-Ladies and AI Inclusive. Gabriela will tell us
about her career journey, as well as the many different roles a Data
Scientist may have.

At the end of the meeting, there will be time to ask any questions you
may have about data scientist careers or questions about R in general.

Don't forget to RSVP in our Meetup to get access to the meeting's ID and
password.
https://www.meetup.com/rladies-riverside/events/274066116/

Big thanks to UCR Library and UCR GradQuant for supporting us.

See you soon!

## Details

~ Data Science as a Team Sport ~

Data Science careers are in high demand, with many job opportunities and
attractive salaries. As a relatively new career, it is ambiguously
defined, and the job description of a data scientist can vary greatly
from company to company. For those reasons, Data Science has attracted
both new grads and career changers from all sorts of different fields.
For Statisticians, Data Science is an exciting opportunity to apply your
hard-earned skills to a variety of interesting and challenging problems.
Having a solid Statistics background will give you a head start in that
direction. However, Data Science is much more than pure Statistics
knowledge. Being able to recognize and take advantage of a team with a
diverse set of experiences will provide you with a unique opportunity to
grow individually while benefiting your entire team. In this talk, I
will walk you through my career journey, the different roles a Data
Scientist can take, useful skills for a successful career, and lessons
learned.

~ Bio ~
Gabriela de Queiroz is a Sr. Engineering & Data Science Manager at IBM
where she manages and leads a team of developers working on Data & AI
Open Source projects. She works to democratize AI by building tools and
launching new open source projects. She is passionate about making data
science available to everybody and is actively involved with several
organizations to foster an inclusive community. She is the founder of AI
Inclusive (ai-inclusive.org), a global organization that is helping
increase the representation and participation of gender minorities in
Artificial Intelligence. She is also the founder of R-Ladies
(rladies.org), a worldwide organization for promoting diversity in the R
community with more than 180 chapters in 50+ countries. She has worked
in several startups and where she built teams, developed statistical
models, and employed a variety of techniques to derive insights and
drive data-centric decisions. She likes to mentor and shares her
knowledge through mentorship programs, tutorials, and talks.