[Botanygraduatestudents] Tomorrow is our BPSC/Corteva Symposium - Yermanos Lecture – Graduate Student Award – PLEASE join us!

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Tue May 24 11:46:23 PDT 2022

***Reminder***

Hi everyone!

I am reaching out to remind you that our BPSC/Corteva Symposium is Tomorrow, May 25th at 10:00 AM.

Please register for the Symposium at  https://sites.google.com/ucr.edu/bpscsymposium22/home<https://sites.google.com/ucr.edu/bpscsymposium22/home>

After registration, the zoom log in for the Symposium will be available to you.

Participation in this student-lead event is critical so we can maintain Corteva funding. We are hoping to go in person next year and we will need this funding to do this.

So I hope you will encourage everyone in your lab to attend and please spread the word.  Our graduate students have assembled a great set of speakers from the esteemed to rise postdoctoral stars.

We have a different organization this year.

  *   Our Yermanos Lecture will initiate our Symposium at 10:20 AM.
  *   The Corteva Agriscience speaker is at 1:00 PM
  *   State of the Department and Graduate Student Awards begin at 5 PM.

Time
Speaker
Title
10:00 AM
Taylor Beaulieu
UCR, Botany GSA
Introduction
10:20 AM
Dr. Rex Bernardo University of Minnesota
Yermanos Lecture
Plant Breeding in Times of Change
11:20 AM
Dr. Logan Kistler
Smithsonian
Ancient DNA perspectives on plant domestication
12:10 PM
Lunch Break

1:00 PM

Dr. Jon Reinders

Corteva Agriscience
Enabling Maize Microspore Embryogenesis Using Machine Learning
1:50 PM
Dr. Patricia Lang
Stanford University
Studying developmental responses to climate change with functional historical genomics
2:40 PM
Short Break

3 PM
Dr. Dan Chitwood
Michigan State University
Perspective matters: a topological view of plant morphology and training in computational plant science
3:50 PM
Short break

4:00 PM
Dr. Mitchell Feldman
UC Davis
Genomic Prediction and Other Approaches for Redesigning Strawberry Breeding
4:50 PM
Taylor Beaulieu
UCR, Botany GSA
Symposium closure