[Botanygraduatestudents] Learn about biotech entrepreneurship through the Plants3D Design Tournament

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Wed Sep 29 11:16:24 PDT 2021

Good Morning,

UCR’s Plants3D program is hosting a Design Tournament this fall quarter in which teams will compete for a $5000 prize. This year we are inviting up to 10 graduate students from outside of the Plants3D program to participate.

Goals of the Plants3D Design Tournament
● Address a challenge in the alternative food, flavor, and fragrance industry
● Develop a design solution with IP potential that could be launched as a startup or licensed by an existing company
● Build and work with an interdisciplinary team to develop concept
● Provide R&D funding for the top concept to be supported beyond the tournament

The tournament will be made up of three rounds. In the first round, individual students will have an opportunity to pitch their startup concept in 2 minutes. In the subsequent two rounds, teams will be formed and grow to develop the most competitive ideas. Round 3 will be judged by a panel of experts and the winning team will be awarded $5,000 to spend on materials/supplies to develop a proof of concept. More information can be found in the slides attached to this email.

On Wed 9/29 at 5 pm and Tues 10/5 at 5 pm we will hold information sessions about the tournament. You can join here:
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/93588525064

To sign up for the tournament, please fill out this Google Form. https://forms.gle/A9zSoD53RSvGpXyC9

Participants will be taken on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Thank you and please let me know if you have any questions,

-Robert Jinkerson
robert.jinkerson at ucr.edu<mailto:robert.jinkerson at ucr.edu>
[cid:image001.png at 01D7B523.6CBAE730]
--