[Botanygraduatestudents] Update on COVID vaccine and testing

Bpschair bpschair at ucr.edu
Wed Feb 3 17:18:16 PST 2021

Hi everyone,  I hope you are all well and staying safe.  Two updates:

1.  COVID testing is now quite readily available. We don’t require anyone to be tested, but I encourage you to get tested if you are concerned about the possibility of having been exposed,  Probably the most convenient place to be tested is at the drive-through Curative/City of Riverside site that opened on campus in late December.  https://curative.com/sites/16577#9/33.9813/-117.331. they have plenty of availability.
It is located in Parking Lot 26, by the baseball fields:  https://campusmap.ucr.edu/?loc=Lot26

When you make an appointment, you will be asked for insurance information, but there is no charge for getting a test at this site.  I understand that there has been some confusion about this.  There are testing sites that charge quite a lot, but for this location, there is no charge.

2.  COVID vaccine.  Vaccine doses remain in limited supply, but that seems to be improving.  I believe all graduate students who need to be on campus to do research fall under Phase 1B.

If you are a GSR or on fellowship, ask your major professor (or the faculty member you are rotating with)  to provide a letter stating that you are employed as a GSR and that your work can’t be done remotely. They have a template.  When you go for an appointment you will need a photo ID - do not use your student ID, as this might lead them to decide you don’t qualify.

If you are a TA this quarter, I can provide a letter for you, or ask the course instructor.

Getting an appointment is still challenging, but here are some sites to try.  New appointments are released sporadically, so keep checking.

https://curative.com/sites/24341#9/33.9914/-117.3715
https://www.rivcoph.org/COVID-19-Vaccine

I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.  I’m also available to meet with the grad students as a group if you would like.

Patty

Patricia Springer
Professor and Chair, Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California
Riverside, CA  92521

pspringer at ucr.edu<mailto:pspringer at ucr.edu>
bpschair at ucr.edu