[Bgsa] Empire Day 2012 Reminder...One Week Away!

Jon Allen jonallen at ucr.edu
Thu May 17 10:48:20 PDT 2012

Reminder!!! One week from today!!

Please join us on the Spieth Patio on Thursday, May 24th
from 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock
for our 2nd Annual "Empire Day" Tea and Scones.

This event will take the place of the usual Grad Seminar Coffee.

We encourage all to participate by baking and bringing scones to go with
the variety of teas that we will provide.
Prizes will be awarded to the scones that get the most "popular" votes.

Please print and post the attached flyer for those who I may have missed
on my e-mail list.

Here is your British Empire "fact of the day":
"Each Empire Day, millions of school children from all walks of life
across the length and breadth of the British Empire would typically
salute the union flag and sing patriotic songs like /Jerusalem/ and /God
Save the Queen/. They would hear inspirational speeches and listen to
tales of 'daring do' from across the Empire, stories that included such
heroes as Clive of India, Wolfe of Québec and 'Chinese Gordon' of
Khartoum. But of course the real highlight of the day for the children
was that they were let of school early in order to take part in the
thousands of marches, maypole dances, concerts and parties that
celebrated the event."