[Bgsa] EEOBGSA Outreach Events and Notes

Breanna Harris bharr002 at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 30 13:35:05 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to send out a re-cap of the outreach information/events that we
mentioned during today's meeting.

1. The EEOBGSA was awarded the Outstanding Commitment to Higher Education
Outreach award in the Spring of 2011. The award is on display on the first
floor of Spieth Hall near the main entrance if you'd like to take a peek at
it :) Scroll to the very bottom of this
webpage<http://studentlife.ucr.edu/studentOrganizations/Pages/StudentOrganizationAwards.aspx>
see us listed.
*A big thanks to everyone for your outreach efforts, keep up the good work!*

2. We are keeping track of all outreach done by graduate student in EEOB -
both for our records and to have on hand in case any faculty in the
department want to apply for the GAANN (Graduate Assistance in Areas of
National Need) fellowship again and need data.  *Please send us info about
any outreach you do -- activity and hours* -- and we'll log it in our giant
excel sheet.

3. Journal collections -- *we are collecting journals* (slightly used, 1-2
yrs old) for local high schools that can't afford them. Any journals you
don't want (Science and Nature preferred but any will do) please put in the
donation bin in the mail room or give them to Bre or Brian.  National
Geographic, Scientific American, Discovery, etc. are all fine too.

4. Science Fairs -- this is a huge area of outreach for us. There will be
several science fairs to judge ~Jan-March, we'll send out emails when dates
get closer.

5. Science Fair Mentors -- if you'd like to mentor a student for the science
fair, please email us and we'll get you on the "potential mentors" list that
seems to circulate to all local school at this time of year

6. *Science Fair Expo* -- *Saturday, October 29, 2011*.  As far as we know
they would be happy to have us volunteer to be science consultants for local
students, teachers and parents. *Please see the attached pdf* or email Bre
or Brian.

7. *Refresh Riverside! A Community Climate Fair* -- *Saturday, November 12,
2011*.  This will be held on the campus of UCR and will be free and open to
the public.  If you would like to volunteer in any aspect, be it 1-2 hrs of
set up or passing out info, or to running your own booth and/or managing a
team of high school students at the event, please contact Mary Droser for
more information: *mary.droser at ucr.edu Also see the attached pdf*
**
8. Wonderlab? Something based off this
idea,<http://www.cbs.umn.edu/labs/emilies/ABS_fair.htm>a wonderlab
event that was held after the Animal Behavior Society conference
this past summer. If you would be interested in participating in this sort
of thing please* email Bre or Brian* and we'll get a list and/or a committee
put together. also see attached pdf

9. Skype Dates? Brian has some friends who are teaching in Korea right now
and would love to have us skype in for a sorta kinda meet the scientist
thing. Only caveat is they would be like 1am our time. Please email *Brian.*

10. Anything from you guys? Please send us anything that you'd like to do or
if you know of any opportunities for outreach please just send out an
EEOBGSA email!

Thanks everyone and don't forget to send us your hours!

Cheers,
Bre and Brian

bharr002 at ucr.edu and briang at ucr.edu

Breanna N. Harris