[Bgsa] Last call for Spring's Lunch Bunch talks

Mauricio Torres rtorr006 at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 15 23:02:21 PDT 2011

Dear everyone,

Andrew Furness and I are organizing the Spring Lunch Bunch seminar series.
We want to continue Teri and Sonia's efforts to make Lunch Bunch more
aligned with the interests of EEOB students. We are trying to make Lunch
bunch more of an informal affair, a gathering of colleagues, and an
opportunity to share ideas and get feedback. In line with this goal, we have
invited intramural and extramural speakers to give less data-oriented talks
that contain more speculative ideas on topics of broad interest. However, we
still have additional spots available and it is our hope that the Lunch
bunch seminar could allow EEOB students a forum to share ideas and get
feedback from others.

Such a meeting has good potential for student presentations, and some
optional talks could be about:

* An idea or project in its early planning stages.

* A troubling analysis that may benefit from someone else's expertise.

* A review. For example about the topic of the written exam, either before
or after it is submitted.

We've already talked to some of you and the invariable answer that we get is
"let me think about it". Spring is rapidly approaching and we would
appreciate it if you could let us know if you want to participate. Student
presentations could consist of a 20 minute talk, with 5 minutes for
questions. However the format is not fixed, and if you want less time for
talking and more for getting feedback that's fine too. This is going to be a
great chance to pick people's brains. Please email us if you are interested.

Best wishes,

Mauricio & Andrew