[Bgsa] EEOB Facebook page?; up-date about EEOB website

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Mon Jan 24 18:42:03 PST 2011

Hello Everyone,

I passed your requests about the website on to Melissa last week.
Before I say any more about that, though, I want to ask you guys a
question that Melissa asked me at our meeting.  Melissa plans to set
up a Facebook page for EEOB, with subgroups for current students,
prospective students, and alumni, and is wondering how much current
students are likely to use it.    So, I'd be grateful if you could
send me a quick reply just to say whether you would or would not be
likely to use an EEOB Facebook site.  (This isn't binding - she just
wants a rough idea.)

And now, here is what Melissa said about your suggestions regarding
the website:

Links to CVs: Melissa said it would be no problem to place links from
the graduate student list directly to CVs that people have posted on
their own websites, so if you have a CV posted, just send her the
link.  (Incidentally, you don't need to have a website to do this - if
you want to do it and aren't sure how, send me an email and I'll walk
you through it.)

Lists by track: Melissa thought it might be possible to make the
graduate student list sortable by track, but when we talked about it,
it seemed to both of us that separate lists by track (i.e., one
alphabetical list with everyone and three separate lists for the three
tracks, all on separate pages) would be easier to search (then if you
just want to see the students in physiology, you don't have to scroll
through all the folks in the other two tracks before you get to them).

Non-UCR emails: Melissa doesn't mind posting non-UCR emails - just
send her the alternative email address.  She does remind people to
make sure they are at least having email forwarded from their UCR
address though - otherwise we might miss emails from her.

List of recent graduates: Melissa really liked Teri's idea of having
an alumni list.  We discussed this for some time and decided that the
alumni listings could have the following information: a photograph,
Name, Track, Advisor, Thesis title (in place of research interests),
First position following graduation, and Current position (this would
be included only if alumnus responded to an annual request for
up-dated information).  Melissa already has a spreadsheet with the
current positions of many alumni (although there are also quite a few
who have fallen out of touch), so the hope is that keeping this
up-to-date would not require much additional work, and that it would
be both useful to us and encouraging to prospective students.   If you
have any thoughts about this list, let me know.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers,

Carla

--