[Bgsa] Various announcements that we didn't get to in our EEOBGSA meeting today

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Fri Oct 2 18:25:41 PDT 2009

Dear fellow graduate students,

Many thanks to all of you who came to the EEOBGSA meeting today - we
had a great turn-out and ate nearly all of our pizza (which is the
most important thing, of course).  I had about two meetings worth of
stuff on the agenda, so we went a bit long and didn't get to
everything - I'll plan to be less ambitious with my plans for the
winter and fall meetings.  That being said, I thought everything we
did get to was useful, and hope you guys also found it to be
worthwhile.

We didn't have time for any of the announcements/progress reports I
had planned for the end of the meeting, so I have written them down
and pasted them below.  I'll also be sending out minutes for the
meeting sometime next week for the sake of folks who had to leave
early or were not able to attend.

If anyone wants some left-over cheese pizza, breadsticks, or lemonade,
they are in the Bird Lab fridge (Spieth 3371, next door to the Moore
room).  Someday perhaps we'll have a refrigerator in the Moore Room
for stuff like that, but for now that's the closest I can get.

Here are the announcements:

	Journal donation box

Hi Everyone,

Have a stack of old journals taking up space in your office or lab?
Donate them!  As a quasi-outreach effort, EEOBGSA will be collecting
spare journals and similar publications and donating them to local
high schools and science outreach programs.  We welcome all
submissions—old, recent, major or minor publications.

You can place extra journals in the labeled box in the mail/copy room.
 We’ll be sure to remove any identifying information, such as that
found on mailing labels, from each journal before it’s donated.

If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to
contact Brian: brian.gray at email.ucr.edu.

Thank you for your help with this project!

Signed,

The Outreach Committee

Brian Gray
Bre Harris
Carla Essenburg

	T-shirts

We had two T-shirt designs submitted - thank you, Paolo and Teri!
I’ve attached both to this message, in case you want a preview (note
that Paolo has also suggested adding some text to the front of the
shirt, and this would also of course be possible for Teri's design).
Mike has also suggested an idea that he says he doesn't have the
drawing skill to realize (the UCR bear plus a collection of other
different animals as well with half of their faces painted blue).
We’ll be in touch soon to decide where to go from here - most likely a
vote to choose between Teri and Paolo's designs, followed by any
further cleaning up of the image files that might be needed.  In the
meantime, if you have any experience with getting T-shirts made or
working with image files or would be interested in helping out
with/having influence in the T-shirt project, please let me know
(carla.essenberg at email.ucr.edu) – Adrienne and I would be very
grateful for any help or advice folks might be willing to give!

    - Carla

	Printing in department

I would like to know how many people have attempted to get their
computers set up to print to the departmental photocopier, and whether
people think this is a viable solution to our printing needs, or
whether it is worth pushing for another (likely more costly) solution,
such as having a computer somewhere that is set up to print to the
photocopier.  If you have tried to set up your computer and failed, or
would like to do it but are not sure how to get started, let me know
(carla.essenberg at email.ucr.edu).  With Senanu’s help, I got mine set
up last week – it was a bit of a pain, but by no means impossibly
difficult, and I could probably help other folks (at least PC users)
to get their computers set up.

     - Carla

	Graduate student posters

Many of you will have noticed that the posters with graduate student
pictures on them near the main entrance of Spieth are many years out
of date.  Melissa Gomez told me this summer that she intends to
up-date those posters soon – whoo-hoo!!

    - Carla

	EEOBGSA bank account

Adrienne and I set up a bank account for the EEOBGSA with Altura
Credit Union this week.  The account has no fees associated with it,
and I have also checked that we will not incur any tax liability, so
there don’t appear to be any disadvantages, and there will certainly
be advantages.  Those of you who were here last year will remember
that our cash was stolen summer before last – once we have our money
safely in the account, we should never need to worry about that
happening again – and having a bank account should also make our
accounting easier.

    - Carla

	Program review

Daphne mentioned that the EEOB program review was released to the
faculty this summer and that I received a copy.  This copy is supposed
to be confidential – i.e., it should not be read or discussed outside
of the program, and we cannot make copies to circulate – but I have
been told that any EEOB graduate student who wishes to read it is
welcome to do so.  So, if you would like to see it, drop me a line
(carla.essenberg at email.ucr.edu) and I’ll lend you my copy.

   - Carla

--
Carla Essenberg