[Bgsa] Dr Lucy Jones at UCR

Jon Allen jonallen at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 14 15:27:31 PDT 2008

For those of you that have grown up in this area, we have all heard
about "The Big One" when it comes to earthquakes.  You should also be
familiar with Dr. Lucy Jones, she is the woman that shows up on TV after
a major quake to tell you what is going on.  If you are interested in
what we might expect when "The Big One" does happen, I recommend the
following talk.  I heard this talk in Irvine a month ago and I am
convinced everyone in Southern California should hear what she has to say.

Lucy Jones, chief scientist of the Multi Hazards Demonstration Project
for Southern California, will kick-off UCR's ShakeOut-related activities
in an hour-long public talk she will give at 7 p.m., Oct. 21.  Her talk,
titled "The Science Behind the ShakeOut," will take place in Room 302,
Student Commons.  A half-hour-long panel discussion on earthquake
preparedness and emergency response will follow Jones's presentation.
The panelists -- UCR's Paul Walker, emergency manager in Environmental
Health and Safety, and representatives of Riverside County and the city
of Riverside -- will give short presentations and answer questions from
the audience.  The talk will be preceded by an informal reception with
refreshments.  All members of the on- and off-campus community are welcome.

"If it squirms, it's biology; if it stinks, it's chemistry; if it
doesn't work,

it's physics; and if you can't understand it, it's mathematics."

  - Magnus Pyke, scientist

Jon Allen

University of Calif., Riverside

Biology Lab Prep