[Bgsa] Printing and scanning on the department's photocopier

Senanu Pearson senanu.pearson at email.ucr.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:38:40 PDT 2008

Hi all,

As I mentioned in the BGSA meeting today, you should be able to print
from the photocopier. You may need to convert your files to PDF first.
There are drivers on CDs located on the back side of the copier or you
can download stuff from Lanier's website. I have no idea how to set up a
PC, and tried briefly and failed to do it with a Mac using their
drivers. However, Macs are really Unix and I think they come
pre-installed with a program called CUPS so the attached pdf
instructions (which I successfully used to set up my Linux computer)
should work for a Mac as well as Linux... You should be able to tell if
you have CUPS by entering the following address into a web browser:
http://127.0.0.1:631/

You will need the ip address of the copier, which is:
138.23.90.253

After you set up your computer following the instructions in the
attached file, You can set the copier up to print double sided, and
staple etc. either using this command:
     lpr -P COPIERNAME -o InputSlot=Auto -o OutputBin=Default -o
PageSize=Letter -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble -o StapleLocation=UpperLeft
FILENAME
(you'll need to replace COPIERNAME with the name you give the copier
when you set it up on your computer and FILENAME with the file you want
to print)

or, if this doesn't make sense to you, you can do it manually through
the print dialog box that pops up when you tell your computer to print.

Some of the copy codes have permissions to do this on the copier, and
some don't. I know that the Biol299 code (85194) does as well as the
code for non-lab classes. If the code you need to use doesn't, you might
ask at the front desk for them to set it up for you (yeah, and they'll
probably have no idea how).

Did you also know that you can use the copier for scanning? The 299 code
works for this also, and you'll have to put in your email address into
the machine. When you finish scanning, it'll send it to the address you
specify and you'll have the pdf file for the paper that was so hard to
get from the library.

Darren, might it be worthwhile to ask the dept to set up an account that
can scan for all students (not just those who TA or are enrolled in 299)
since scanning doesn't cost the department anything?

Hope this helps with printing nightmares.

Senanu