[Bgsa] Your friendly Commons update

Sharon Coe sharon.coe at ucr.edu
Thu May 29 21:57:00 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,
PLEASE...provide me any final comments on your experience the Commons by 1pm
on Monday. Monday will be the last meeting of the Commons Board for the
regular school year. That means no more annoying emails from me on this
topic after this!

Each and every comment that I have received, either verbally or by email, I
have conveyed at the Board meetings. The hi-level staff of dining services
hears these comments, as does the Commons Director. Both have told me that
they appreciate getting the feedback. I don't use your name. PLEASE, PROVIDE
ME WITH COME FEEDBACK FOR NEXT WEEK'S MEETING! :-)

Updates from last meeting:
1. Phase 2 is on schedule for the most part, so will open sometime Jan 2009.
The "piazza" portion is supposed to be ready EARLY (this summer sometime)
which should reduce the congestion you must have noticed
2. Phase 2 space approx 80% had been decided on prior to online survey went
out; results from survey is helping to decide remaining 20%. For sure there
will be a "burger store", Printing and Repro will go there, a game room (I
think we "play enough games" in our dept already [joke].
2. Thanks to those who provided feedback on the Commons Survey online. Lots
of people wanted postal services...so we may see that in Phase 2.
3. Sandwich place is still open on weekends (although it typically operates
at a loss on weekends!).
4. You can purchase a water cup (nominal fee) and fill water now (thanks to
irate students' comments).
5. Carl's Jr truck is gone now for good! It's not coming back (sorry to
those who patronized the Roach Coach).
6. Likely will be more study space in Phase 2 (not sure this applies to
grads much)
7. One hot dog stand now moved to outside Bookstore
8. Sorry to those of you who have noticed the long lines or funny line
routes...no plans to change any of this. Apparently "a study" has been done
(Commons staff and a stopwatch) about how quickly customers moved thru lines
and it was deemed "not longer than comparable fast food chains" (this seems
to be Dining Services yardstick). I don't think any statistical analysis was
done though, so results "not valid" :-)

So, thanks to everyone who provided comments! Send me s'more for next
Monday!

Sharon

Sharon Coe
PhD Candidate