[Bgsa] Open house for publication of new local botany book

Ian Wm. King ian.king at email.ucr.edu
Thu Mar 15 13:05:06 PDT 2007

Hi,
 As some of you know, my landlord Oscar Clarke has been writing a flora of the Santa Ana River. Remember those pamphlets in your mailboxes? Well it is now published and to celebrate, there will be an open house this weekend at our place on Frost Court. Oscar and his co-authors (including Len Nunney's better half, Arlee Montalvo) will be there. It runs from 10am-10pm each day this weekend so feel free to drop by if you get a chance. For those of you who don't know about Oscar, he's a local legend, famous for his encyclopaedic knowledge of botany. After studying ornithology with Wilson Hanna, he started working at the Citrus Experimental Station. He was invited to establish the UCR Herbarium and was its curator until his retirement. Now 87 years old, he's written this book, which includes his lifetime's knowledge of local botany in almost 500 pages with over 3200 illustrations, most of them colour images. Please find the official invitation is below.
                 Ian

NB: The publisher of this book is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, "specializing in books and other educational projects that foster an understanding of the history, literature, art, environment, social issues, and culture of California and the West." Sale of the complete run of the book will cover the costs of publication only.

Please join us to celebrate the completion and arrival of Oscar Clarke's "Flora of the Santa Ana River and its Environs, with References to World Botany"

OPEN HOUSE 10am-10pm
March 17th and 18th

A time to visit, meet new friends and see old friends. If you like, pick up a copy of the book and get it signed by the authors: Oscar Clarke, Danielle Svehla, Greg Ballmer, and Arlee Montalvo. Our publisher, Malcolm Margolin of Heyday Books, will also be here. Refreshments will be served. Also, Marsia will have a video installation to share with you in her studio.

266 Frost Court
Riverside, CA
92507
(951) 369-8809
oscarfclarke at gmail.com

No RSVP necessary. Bring friends if you like. Please plan to park on city streets (Frost Ct. or Watkins Dr.) unless you need to drive someone up our steep driveway. We look forward to seeing you!

Directions: