[Bgsa] Matt Goode--Lunch Bunch speaker this Friday

Sharon Coe coes01 at student.ucr.edu
Mon Jan 22 13:22:24 PST 2007

Hi everyone--

[this email may be a duplicate of what Charlene Chan is emailing out, but since some students seem not to be on Charlene's list, I am sending to BGSA also]

This week's Lunch Bunch speaker is Matt Goode, from the School of Natural Resources at the University of Arizona. His talk is titled "Ecology and Conservation of the Tiger Rattlesnake in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona.

If you would like to meet with Matt on Friday morning, or possibly early Friday afternoon, please contact his departmental host directly, Ken Halama (Reserve Director at Motte-Rimrock Reserve in our UC Natural Reserve System) to arrange a meeting time. Ken's email is <kjhalama at ucr.edu>

If you are a grad student and would like to go to lunch at the Barn after his talk, please email Sharon Coe directly at <coes01 at student.ucr.edu>. First come, first served.

Below is information about Matt:

Since 1984, I have studied various aspects of amphibian and reptile ecology and conservation.  Most of my work has dealt with snakes in general and rattlesnakes in particular.  I try to bridge the gap between applied and basic research, using natural history, ecological, behavioral, and genetic data to address conservation and management issues.  I also have a strong interest in environmental education, and most of my projects have a significant educational component.  I am currently the Sr. Co-chair of the Southwest Region of Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation.  Examples of recent and ongoing projects include:

> Effects of fire on banded rock rattlesnakes and their primary prey, mountain spiny lizards (funded by the National Park Service).

> Effects of fire on the endangered ridge-nosed rattlesnake and lizard communities in
southeastern Arizona  and northern Mexico (funded by US Forest Service).

> Effects of fire and grazing on prairie rattlesnakes and snake communities in southwestern
New Mexico (funded by US Forest Service).

> Effects of urbanization and golf courses on herpetofaunal communities near Tucson,
Arizona (funded by Arizona Game and Fish Department).

> Ecology and conservation genetics of tiger rattlesnakes in the Tucson Basin (funded by the
National Park Service and the Desert Southwest Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit).

> Inventory and monitoring of herpetofauna in Sonoran and Chihuahuan Desert national parks
funded by the National Park Service).

Sharon Coe
PhD Candidate

http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/grad_students/coe.html