[Bgsa] Upcoming events etc.

Robin Tinghitella rting001 at student.ucr.edu
Mon Jan 16 11:35:04 PST 2006

Hi all,

I hope everyone is refreshed after a little bit of a break.
Just a couple of things I wanted to update you all about:

1. I gather that we do not have a seminar schedule for
this term as of yet because the seminar time slot is being
held for job talks.  That means we don't need people to
sign up for projector duty and we may or may not want to
hold coffee half hour.  I'm happy to have people sign up to
do coffee hour even without seminars if there is interest
in doing so.  I put up a coffee hour schedule in the mail
room, so if you would like to sign up, please feel free.
The supplies and funds are in the BGSA cabinet as
usual.

2. It's that time!  We really do need to make a final
decision about whether we will be the BGSA or the
EEOBGSA.  I would like to do this sooner rather than later
because I am drafting a constitution for the group and
need to know who we are.  Having a constitution will
allow us to receive $210 a year from the GSA for the
retreat/meeting food and drinks etc.  So, let's vote.  I am
placing ballots in each of your mailboxes and the BGSA
ballot box will be in the mail room.  Please vote by
Wednesday, January 25th.  I will hold a BGSA meeting
shortly after this date (tentatively the 31st) to discuss the
results of the vote and a draft of the new constitution.

3.  We need to start thinking about next year's retreat
already...wow, that was fast.  The first order of business
is to form a retreat committee.  Please let me know if you
are interested in taking part in the planning of the
2006-2007 retreat.  A big part of the committee's job will
be to organize some fundraising activities since we used
a lot of the BGSA budget for the retreat this year.  Alex has
some really great ideas, so maybe he can help us
brainstorm.

4.  Finally, Chris O. is at work designing a new
department t-shirt/Nalgene bottle for this year.  Let either
of us know if you have ideas or want to help out.

Don't forget to vote before the 25th and tentatively mark
your calendars for the meeting on the 31st.  More to
come...

Robin