[Bgsa] FIRE ALARM SYSTEM DOWN

Dan Rios danrios at ucr.edu
Wed Sep 28 11:18:54 PDT 2005

TO:     BIOLOGY PERSONNEL
         CBN PERSONNEL - SPIETH
         BIO GRAD STUDENTS
         CBN GRAD STUDENTS

For reasons unknown, the alarm panel that triggers the strobes and horns
during a fire alarm event is temporarily our of service.  We discovered the
problem as a result of the evacuation drill this morning.  Potentially, the
problem could have been caused by the planned power curtailment earlier
today (the system was operating on battery power).

Therefore, until further notice, you are directed to call 911 in the event
of an emergency in Spieth Hall, LS 1500 or Life Sciences
Psychology.  Engaging a pull station will not activate evacuation alarms.

You will be alerted when Physical Plant Alarm technicians return the system
to normal operating condition.

Incidentally, Scott Corrin, Campus Fire Marshall, gave us good marks for
our evacuation drill this morning.  However, there are a few logistical
elements that require further scrutiny.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards, Dan

Dan Rios
Facilities Coordinator/Laboratory Safety Officer
Departments of:
         Biology
         Cell Biology & Neuroscience
         U Natural Reserves System