[Bgsa] alternative to being a grad student

Sharon Coe coes01 at student.ucr.edu
Tue Mar 15 21:17:32 PST 2005

Is the outside world looking more rosy than your grad office
cubicle these days? This is news about a job or a potential
one. The person who emailed me is Shauna McDonald, who got
her Master's here with Mary PRice.

Sharon

************

Hi.  I wanted to let you know about this, in case you or
someone you
know might be interested.  I got a call today from Melody
Aimar, field
biologist with the Santa Ana Watershed Association (SAWA) in
Riverside.
They asked me if I would consider moving back to Riverside
to go to
work for them, but I told them I wouldn't leave my new job.
I told them
I'd spread the word that they need help.

SAWA recently became a non-profit and they do a lot of great
stuff in
the Inland Empire.  They do a lot of field work.  SAWA has
done a really
good job fighting Arundo donax and has done wonders for
least Bell's
vireo, with their surveys, nest monitoring and cowbird
trapping/cowbird
egg removal.  I know these folks because when I was with the
Center for
Natural Lands Management, we partnered with them to help us
with vireos
and in exchange, I trained them on rodents.  I was on their
permits so
that I could do some of the cowbird trapping and supervised
nest
monitorning.  They also do a lot of herps stuff (Melody just
rescued about
200 metamorphosing spadefoots in Sycamore Canyon when their
pond began to
dry too early).  They were even doing bat work last summer.
Their
weaknesses are with rodents and insects (e.g. Quino
checkerspot).  They
have Dick Zembal, who is a very experienced Stephens' krat
person, but he
is too far up in the organization to do much field work.
They're a
really great bunch and I like them immensely.  They have
lost a couple of
biologists who left to do consulting.

Anyhow, here is their website:  www.sawarcd.com.  I think
that they may
be behind in updated the job announcements, since I took a
look and
there aren't any permnanent jobs listed.  I know they didn't
expect me to
move back for a temporary job.  If anyone is interested,
check out
their website and email me--I can give you Melody's cell #.

- Shauna

Sharon Coe
PhD Candidate
Department of Biology