[BFASA] Pull Up On ASP During Black History Month

Bfasa bfasa at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 6 20:19:21 PST 2024

From: Jamal J Myrick <jamal.myrick at ucr.edu>
Date: Monday, February 5, 2024 at 2:27 PM
To: Bfasa <bfasa at ucr.edu>
Subject: Pull Up On ASP During Black History Month
Happy Black History Month!

Here at ASP, we are so excited to celebrate our unique personalities, traditions, and Blackness all year long and of course, we are going a little harder for February!  We invite you to partake in at least three of our events that we have planned throughout the month and get connected with our Black scholars and team here in ASP. Here's just a few highlight experiences for this week that we have planned. Shoutout to our amazing team for putting together such an engaging calendar of events throughout the month. Expect a weekly email from me for the rest of the month with all the great updates from our office:

Black Anime w/ NERDs in Hip-Hop (2/6/24, 2p-6p)
The intersections of Blackness, Anime, and Hip-Hop have always been connected and can be seen in numerous media ranging from lyrics by Wu-Tang to all the amazing content created by RDCWorld1! If you love anime, hip-hop, and/or your Blackness, this event is for you. Come learn about the history of Black people and anime, tap in with amazing cosplayers, and even get your cosplay on!

BHM Kickoff w/ Keynote Speaker, Kevin Powell  (2/7/24, HUB 302 S, 6p-9p)
Join ASP, NASP, and Ethnic Studies for a night of performances from scholars in our community as well as an outstanding, timely keynote by Grammy nominated, 16x author, activist, Mr. Kevin Powell!

ASP Night at Men's Basketball (2/8/24,SRC, 7p)
Our third annual ASP Night is happening again, and you're invited to join us as we cheer on the home team against CSU Bakersfield! You can also catch us on ESPN 2 that night as they're filming the game. We'll have members of our Divine Nine stroll, videos of ASP, and more all in one night! Game time starts at 7p at the SRC!

Flashback Fridays (ASP, Every Friday at 3p)
Tap in with ASP and check out some of Black film classics! Every Friday in February starting at 3p and yes, there will be snacks.

Riverside Black History Parade (2/10/24)
Pull up to the 44th Riverside Black History Parade & Expo. You're going to see some familiar faces from ASP as we support our community and share information about our outstanding program and scholars. Look for the ASP flag!

Parade Start Time:10a.m.

Parade Start Location: Magnolia and Terracina

Parade Length: 1.3 Miles

Parade End Location: Main and 11th Street

Expo Location: City Hall, Main St. Between 9th & University

Finally, make time to stop into ASP and get plugged with our scholars! Come hang out, play cards, and just get to know our scholars. We know that they would appreciate seeing more of our Black Faculty and Staff family!