[ASA_PEWS] Fwd: FW: [tni-associates] Rallying donations for Boris Kagarlitsky's legal defence fund

Christopher Chase-Dunn chriscd at ucr.edu
Thu Mar 21 09:18:50 PDT 2024

From: tni-associates-request at lists.riseup.net <
tni-associates-request at lists.riseup.net> On Behalf Of fiona
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2024 9:43 PM
To: tni-associates at lists.riseup.net
Subject: [tni-associates] Rallying donations for Boris Kagarlitsky's legal
defence fund

Dear All

I just got off a call with the international solidarity committee for
Boris. His lawyer has lodged an appeal with the Supreme Court against his
sentence and hopes it will come to court before June. Meanwhile, Boris
desperately needs funds to pay his legal defence, PR people to boost the
campaign,  and to buy some comforts in jail - toiletries, better cell, good
food, medication if need be etc. $15 000 would go a long way but it needs
to be raised fast. He is currently being held in Zelenograd temporary
detention centre no. 10 on the outskirts of Moscow.

Prospects for his appeal are good insofar as he complied with his original
sentence - paying the two fines levied on him ($6000), and the original
judge commended him on his cooperation - neither matters were taken into
account with the sentence handed down on the appeal of the prosecution.

It would be great if you could all help rally people to donate. They can do
that with one off or monthly donations here:
https://www.patreon.com/freedom_kagarlitsky/posts . Till now, that is only
generating $150 per month.

Meanwhile, the petition on
https://www.change.org/p/free-boris-kagarlitsky-and-all-russian-anti-war-political-prisoners
is out in many languages with more coming on line. Adding all the
signatures so far, we have 5000+ including quite a lot of luminaries and
politicians. An appeal for funds will be added to that too in the hope that
everyone signing will contribute something. We need more signatures from
the South - especially South Africa and Brazil. Putin cares about his image
in the South so that will have the most effect. So far, it is mainly the
Anglo and Russian spheres that have been signing up. You can click on your
language to use for social media or other dissemination purposes.

Many thanks! Let's get Boris out of jail again!

Warmest

Fiona

PS Other news on TNI friends on hard times - David Fig in South Africa had
an emergency triple bypass last week but is now out of Intensive Care and
recovering in a general ward. We sent him a little video of all the
messages you sent in for him which warmed the cockles of his renewed heart!

--
Fiona Dove
     Executive Director

     Telephone: +31 20 662 6608