[ASA_PEWS] galtung

Christopher Chase-Dunn chriscd at ucr.edu
Sun Mar 3 16:39:28 PST 2024

Patrick Bond writes* : Johan Galtung* was a wonderful sociologist from
Norway who passed away last week, age 93.  I met him only once, in the late
1980s at an NGO Debt Crisis Network meeting at the UN where he fused theory
and mid-level strategic imperatives in a way I've always wanted to. An
inspiration in a great many ways, especially in bringing structural
analysis to bear in geopolitics, his sociology PhD from the University of
Oslo was granted in 1957. He wrote prolifically and amongst many official
honours and titles, is informally considered the founder of peace studies.
More of his work
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=zCA_2_wAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate>
:
https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=zCA_2_wAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
.
And here are some DemocracyNow! interviews
<https://www.democracynow.org/appearances/johan_galtung>:
https://www.democracynow.org/appearances/johan_galtung
[image: image.png]

--