[ASA_PEWS] Session Invitation for the World Congress of Sociology: Global Inequalities and Pandemic Diseases

Christopher Chase-Dunn chriscd at ucr.edu
Sun Sep 4 08:32:21 PDT 2022

We hope this email finds you well.  I am emailing you to invite you to the
panel session, *Global Inequalities and Pandemic Diseases--Recent and
Historical Impacts of Contagious Diseases on within- and between-Country
Inequalities*, in the ISA forum of sociology which will be held in July
14-18, 2020 Porto Alegre, Brazil.  The session is co-organized by Chris
Chase-Dunn, Mitch Sato, and me in the RC02 Economy and Society.

Session information can be found in:

https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/wc2023/webprogrampreliminary/Session17318.html

We would appreciate your consideration of giving your paper in our session!

You can submit your paper title and abstract to our session from the
following link:
https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/wc2023/cfp.cgi

ISA 2020 forum website:
https://www.isa-sociology.org/en/conferences/world-congress/melbourne-2023/deadlines-2023

Please contact us if you have questions about this session or the ISA
conference in Melbourne.  The conference will be hybrid, meaning both live
and online. The registration fees are the same for both live and virtual
presentations.

The deadline for the submission is September 30.

Thank you again for your time.

Best regards,
Hiroko Inoue < hiroko.inoue at email.ucr.edu> and Chris Chase-Dunn <
chriscd at ucr.edu>

*Session Title**ː*

Global inequalities and pandemic diseasesː recent and historical impacts of
contagious diseases on within- and between-country inequalities

*Abstract**ː*

Global inequalities have not shown any recent sign of improvement,
revealing increasing disparities between the Haves and the Have Nots.  The
recent pandemic has exacerbated deep divisions, and the disparities today
are widening due to the continuing pandemic impacts on the world economy.
How have economic growth and development and the distributions of wealth
and income been impacted by the recent and earlier pandemics and how have
national and global policies changed in ways that can help mitigate growing
inequalities within countries and in the larger global social system.

The session calls for papers that explore global inequalities and their
links with health disparities and pandemic diseases and anthropogenic and
non-anthropogenic environmental changes in recent and historical
perspectives.

The session is open to studies that investigate socio-economic disparities
and their relationships with pandemics impacts, environmental issues,
inter-generational mobility and conflict, precarious class formations,
gender, race/ethnicity, education, and migration.  And we seek contributors
who will address political, economic, social, and psychological aspects of
these issues.

--
chris chase-dunn   邓宇歌
institute for research on world-systems