[ASA_PEWS] helping david finish his documentary about immanuel wallerstein and U.S. hegemonic decline

Christopher Chase-Dunn chriscd at ucr.edu
Sat Nov 5 14:47:59 PDT 2022

Dear All,
For those of you who don't know, I've been working on a documentary about
the radical sociologist Immanuel Wallerstein for several years. And now I
am launching a fundraising campaign in order to finish the film.
You can find all of the information here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-eagle-has-crash-landed#/
Please consider donating to help this film get to its completion! And
please send this message to any and all that you think might be interested.
Feel free to write me at: moleverde at gmail.com with any and all questions or
concerns.
Best wishes, David Martinez
And here is a description of the film:
The Eagle Has Crash Landed: The World According to Immanuel Wallerstein
A film about the Decline of US Power and the End of Capitalism
Directed by David Martinez
"Immanuel Wallerstein was one of the intellectual giants of twentieth
century social thought. If there's to be a planet worth living on in the
21st century, it'll be because we paid attention to his ideas." - Raj Patel
For the past several years I have been making a film about Immanuel
Wallerstein, an influential sociologist and radical thinker. I’ve finished
shooting and with your help, I can finish the post-production work and
finally share it with the world.
WHY MAKE A FILM ABOUT HIM?
Immanuel Wallerstein was one of the most influential thinkers of the last
fifty years. Born in New York City in 1930 he developed a lifelong interest
in world politics, and he went on to become a hugely influential
sociologist who changed sociology by insisting on a global perspective, and
the importance of the Global South as a prime mover of history.
He was also a dedicated activist scholar, who tried to use his thought and
his work to advance causes of social justice worldwide, and he did so by
listening to and being deeply influenced by people’s movements such as
African anticolonial movements, Rojova in Kurdistan, the Zapatistas, and
the student movements of 1968. And in turn the circle was completed when
his own work later influenced other movements.
It was this give and take, this intellectual exchange with movements and
world events, that made IW’s ideas resonate far and wide.
He literally turned the discipline of sociology on its head, and when the
World Sociological Association convened a commission on Restructuring
Sociology, they named IW its chair.
He insisted on emphasizing the importance of the Global South, and
revolutionized its vision by insisting on viewing the world as one system
rather than focusing on individual countries as autonomous actors.
Now more than ever IW’s work is relevant and necessary. As the world is
unavoidably a global community, and nation-states simply cannot act
individually, World Systems Analysis is needed now more than ever.
“Today, as climate breakdown magnifies the division between North and
South, and an exploited workforce is subject to every-more precarious
conditions, Wallerstein’s ideas have gained renewed urgency. He indicated
that the way forward is class struggle – where “class” stands for an
integrated fight against capitalism, racism, paternalism and
neo-colonialism.
In contrast to the movements of 1968, today it seems only the far right has
reaped the benefits of capitalism’s crisis. In lamenting this development,
liberals fail to see how it was their own celebration of capitalism’s
inexorable expansion – and their blindness to its inherent contradictions –
that planted the seeds for the bigoted nationalism which flourishes today.
The challenge for us is to take forward Wallerstein’s vision. As he
foresaw, we may succeed, but the chances may be only 50-50.” - The New
Statesman, 10 September 2019
Who Is This Film For?
It’s a film for both students of Sociology who are interested in
World-System Analysis, as well as for political activists who wish to
understand the deeper questions and roots of our current unstable times.
This is a film for people who are fans of movies like “Manufacturing
Consent” (about the work of Noam Chomsky), the films of Adam Curtis (“The
Power Of Nightmares” and others), “The Forgotten Space” by Allan Sekula,
"Zizek!” by Astra Taylor, and even “WR” by Dujan Makeyev: movies for
politically-minded people who are looking for deeper political forces and
meanings in the world.
GIFTS TO DONORS:
$5000: For Friends and Family Donors, who will receive a private, in-person
screening, along with a signed poster, t-shirt, and a copy of the film, as
well as a top mention in the credits.
For $2500 : An in-person screening, provided the donor pay travel expenses
if outside of California, along with a signed poster, t-shirt, and a copy
of the film.
With a $750 donation, I will Zoom in for a screening and a Q & A, session,
and the donor will also receive a signed poster, t-shirt, and a copy of the
film.
For $250: A limited edition signed poster, t-shirt, and a copy of the film
For $100 : Regular updates and a copy of the film
For 1$ - $25 : Regular updates on the film
Your donation is tax deductible as the film is fiscally sponsored through
SF IndieFest, a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
--
David Martinez
Itinerant Film Worker