[Allgsacstudents] California Science and Engineering Fair needs judges!

allgsacstudents at lists.ucr.edu allgsacstudents at lists.ucr.edu
Wed Mar 31 13:09:40 PDT 2021

Dear Graduate Students,

Owing to difficulties in the Student Application Process, we have extended both Student and Judge Registration Deadlines for the 2021 California Science and Engineering Fair by two days from the original deadline of tonight to Wednesday night. Please consider helping us interview students on Tuesday, April 13. All interviews are online only, and only on Tuesday, April 13. We have over 800 students already registered, and consequently, are short of judges in most categories. We could really use your help in determining which projects should receive a share of over $65,000 in awards this year. Please sign up today. For your convenience, I have copied the original invitation below.

For the California Science and Engineering Fair,
Christopher M. Gould
CSEF at usc.edu<mailto:CSEF at usc.edu>

I am pleased to announce that at long last, the Judge Application System for the 2021 California Science and Engineering Fair is open. As I wrote to you earlier, owing to the pandemic CSEF 2021 will take place entirely online on Tuesday, April 13. We appreciate your efforts in support of the fair in the past and hope you will choose to join us as a judge again this year.

On Tuesday, April 13, all interviews with students will be face-to-face and scheduled so it is important that you be available the entire day. The day will begin with your judging panel meeting shortly in advance of the first interview period. All interviews will take place starting at 8:30 am during three 2-hour interview blocks. There is a 1-hour rest period between each 2-hour block for you to catch up on other personal issues as needed. Depending upon how many projects are in your category, all of your interviews may be completed during the morning, or they may extend into the afternoon. Your judging panel members will then meet to discuss all awards one-half hour following your final scheduled interview.

Because interviews will take place online, Judge Registration this year will be on that same site, which is different from previous years.

Click here to submit your application to be a judge.<https://ca-csef.zfairs.com/?f=d1c496af-a17c-471d-8c98-7e5c5030b0e0&PersonType=y&FairRType=Judge>
Deadline: Monday, March 29 Wednesday, March 31

This registration site is being used by both Category Award judges and judges for awards offered by external organizations (Special and Recognition Awards). When you visit the site, please select "Category Awards" and do not select any Special/Recognition Award organization. Both sets of judges will be scheduled, but details of how they are assigned will necessarily differ.

In a physical fair, judges walk from project display to project display during the interviews. This year, that cannot happen. Instead, each project will create a standard Project Presentation<https://csef.usc.edu/Current/Printed/ProjectPresentationRequirements.pdf> that will take the place of a physical display. These Project Presentations will be available for your inspection on the Judge Registration site a minimum of one week prior to judging. On April 13, you will be scheduled to move from interview room to interview room and speak with every project in your category.

Given the unusual format of judging this year, we will provide several training opportunities for all judges. To fit your schedule, you can choose to attend any one of the sessions we will offer on the Saturday, Sunday, and Monday preceding Judging Day. In addition, your Category Chair will be able to answer any of your operational questions in the weeks leading up to the fair.

We hope to see you on Tuesday, April 13.