[Allgsacfaculty] CNAS GSAC Graduate Program Support Updates

allgsacfaculty at lists.ucr.edu allgsacfaculty at lists.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 12 13:44:51 PDT 2022

Dear Faculty, Grad Students, and Business Office Staff,

We have a big announcement regarding graduate program support.  As I am sure you are aware, there is a lot of movement in the workforce today and the GSAC is not immune to this trend. Over the past year we've had advisors move on to new positions on campus, and recently the CNAS Dean’s Office provided an additional SSA2 position in anticipation of graduate student population growth between now and 2030.  Because of these factors, we are reassigning quite a few programs in the Center with the hope that program support will stay stable for as long as possible.  The current advisors, along with Kathy Redd and me, are working closely with the new staff to train them during the transition. The updated program directory with backup information is attached.

A brief introduction to our new Graduate Student Services Advisors:
Brenda Cuevas comes to us from the UCLA graduate program in Material Science and Engineering where her position provided the full range of graduate student and program support.  Before UCLA, she was at UC Merced in Engineering.  Her first position and most extensive experience in student affairs was here at UCR where she served as a Graduate Assistant and Student Services Advisor 1 in the Computer Science program.  She has a BA in Liberal Studies and an MEd in Higher Education Administration and Policy, both from UCR.  She has extensive experience supporting students and faculty in graduate programs and working in UCR systems like Banner.

Marlene Garcia comes to us most recently from Arizona State University, where she has extensive experience advising graduate and undergraduate students in biological and biomedical sciences as a Senior Academic Success Advisor. Prior to ASU she worked in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences Student Success Center at CSU Fullerton, providing the full range of services to students in the college. She earned both her BA and MA in Spanish Literature & Linguistics from CSU Fullerton.
Please join me in welcoming out new advisors!

I want to thank Kathy Redd, Kathy VH, Fidel, Nikita, and John for providing support and coverage for the graduate programs during the hiring process, and their ongoing support during training. We could not do any of this without such a strong advising team!

Important Note: Entomology should continue to contact Kathy Redd and Statistics/Applied Statistics continue to contact Dawn Loyola until further notice. We are focusing first on getting the new staff trained on the programs where there was a vacancy.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Dawn Loyola, Ed.D.
Director of Graduate Student Advising
CNAS Graduate Student Affairs Center