[Allgsacfaculty] FW: Upcoming Astronomy Outreach Events

allgsacfaculty at lists.ucr.edu allgsacfaculty at lists.ucr.edu
Mon Oct 4 06:46:40 PDT 2021

Xinnan

Virtual Stargazing - October 14 (Thursday), 7-8:15pm PDT

This virtual stargazing will feature a tour of the bright solar-system objects, providing live views of the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, and Neptune through telescopes! Want to have a closer look at these amazing objects that you can easily spot in the autumn sky? Come join our online telescope viewings!

  *   Date: Thursday, October 14, 2021
  *   Time:  7:00-8:15 PM PDT
  *   Location: Virtual/YouTube. The event URL can be found at the bottom of the EventBrite registration confirmation email
  *   Topic: Stargazing, featuring live view of multiple Solar System planets and the Moon
  *   Tickets: Free but RSVP is required through EventBrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/virtual-stargazing-the-solar-system-registration-171616990037?aff=erelpanelorg> (Note: school-district email addresses and other work emails with firewalls may block the EventBrite messages)
  *   Information: Dr. Xinnan Du at xinnan.du at ucr.edu<mailto:xinnan.du at ucr.edu>

[cid:8393427c-6d0c-401c-b3bc-5ef261ef0fb6 at prod.exchangelabs.com]

(Virtual) Cosmic Thursdays Astronomy Lecture - October 21st (Thursday) at 6:30pm PDT

Did you know that Earth is surrounded by many hazardous objects? How do we keep ourselves safe? Join our lecture to learn how we can use radar observations to defend the planet!

  *   Date: Thursday, October 21, 2021
  *   Time:  6:30-7:30 PM PDT
  *   Location: Virtual. The event URL can be found at the bottom of the EventBrite registration confirmation email
  *   Speaker: Dr. Edgard G. Rivera-Valentín (Lunar and Planetary Institute)
  *   Topic:  Avenging the Dinosaurs: Radar Observations for Planetary Defense

     *   On a nearly daily basis, Earth is impacted by dust, meteoroids, and even small asteroids, which typically burn up in the atmosphere producing what we call “shooting stars”. We also know that Earth has been hit by much larger and more devastating objects. In fact, a large impact is thought to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Luckily, unlike the ancient terrible lizards, we have a space program and can work to defend Earth against such events. To do so, we need to know where hazardous objects are today and where they’ll be in the future, and we must also characterize them well enough so we can put together impact mitigation plans. Radar observations, such as those that were conducted at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, are invaluable for such measurements. Join Dr. Ed Rivera-Valentín to learn how radar and other observations can help keep us safe!

  *   Tickets: Free but RSVP is required through EventBrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/astronomy-lecture-radar-observations-for-planetary-defense-registration-169395367103> (Note: school-district email addresses and other work emails with firewalls may block the EventBrite messages)
  *   Information: Dr. Xinnan Du at xinnan.du at ucr.edu<mailto:xinnan.du at ucr.edu>
[cid:549f84f6-9ebf-4be0-8bec-eb2c374009f0 at prod.exchangelabs.com]