[Tlc] Fwd: FW: "Tearing Apart the Land" wins Asia Society Bernard Schwartz Book Award

Michael Montesano michael.montesano at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:02:42 PDT 2009

>> Subject: Asia Society Bernard Schwartz Book Award

>> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:12:08 -0400

>> From: "President, Asia Society" <president at asiasoc.org>

>> September 16, 2009

>> On behalf of the Asia Society and jury co-chairs Carol Gluck and

>> Tommy Koh, it is my great pleasure to inform you that the winner of

>> the 2009 Asia Society Bernard Schwartz Book Award is Tearing

>> Apart the Land: Islam and Legitimacy in Southern Thailand.

>> Our jury spent many months reading and deliberating over roughly

>> 65 excellent book submissions received for the inaugural Asia Society

>> Bernard Schwartz Book Award.  Tearing Apart the Land was selected by

>> our jury of eleven experts across the U.S. and Asia for its superb

>> fieldwork and reporting on this critical part of the world.  The jury

>> found the book to offer a significant contribution to our

>> understanding of Southeast Asia, Islam, and insurgency and minority

>> movements more broadly.

>> It has long been the mission of the Asia Society to promote

>> understanding among the peoples of Asia and the United States through

>> education, policy, business, arts and culture.  Through this book

>> award, we hope to raise public awareness of the changes taking place

>> in Asia and the implications for the wider world.  We couldn’t be

>> more thrilled to honor Tearing Apart the Land for this purpose.

The Asia Society established the first annual***** Bernard Schwartz Book
Award* in 2009.  This major international award will recognize nonfiction
books that provide outstanding contributions to the understanding of
contemporary Asia or U.S.-Asia relations.  In keeping with the Asia
Society’s mission, the award is designed to further public awareness of the
changes taking place in Asia and the implications for the wider world, and
to raise the profile of authors making a meaningful contribution to this
dialogue.

Books will be evaluated based on their ability to:

• Provide special insights and new perspectives into understanding
contemporary Asia or U.S.-Asia relations

• Describe and explain changes taking place in Asia or in U.S.-Asia
relations and the implications for the wider world to a general audience

• Bring forth ideas that make a significant impact on policy dialogues
relating to the region

An independent jury comprised of experts in the fields of policy, media,
academia, cultural affairs, and business will select the winner, who will
receive a $20,000 prize and will be honored at a special event at the Asia
Society. In addition to the winner, four books will be chosen to receive
honorary mentions.

*******2009 Bernard Schwartz Book Award Finalists *

*******William W. Grimes:********
********Currency and Contest in East Asia: The Great Power Politics of
Financial Regionalism*
(Cornell University Press)

*******David M. Lampton:*
*******The Three Faces of Chinese Power: Might, Money, and Minds*
(University of California Press)

*******Duncan McCargo:*
*******Tearing Apart the Land: Islam and Legitimacy in Southern Thailand*
(Cornell University Press)

*******Philip P. Pan:*
*******Out of Mao's Shadow: The Struggle for the Soul of a New China*
(Simon & Schuster)
*******
********Ahmed Rashid:********
********Descent into Chaos: The United States and the Failure of Nation
Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asia*
(Penguin Group USA)