[Tlc] T-re: T-Thai art

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue May 19 23:41:00 PDT 2009

The story about Buddhist relics is quite interesting. I have anaother story.

In the mid 50's, India offered some Buddha's relics to Cambodia. Presumably those of a Buddha's tooth. A magnificent gilted stupa was constructed to preserve these relics in Phnom Penh, Place Train Station, Phnom Penh. I remember well the King, princes, senior monks, members of the government and thousands of Cambodians gatered to welcome the transfer of these relics, carried in a gilted urn by the Supreme Buddhist Patriarch, Samdech Chuon Nath, leading a huge procession from the airport to the Stupa, the Cakya Moni Chedei which was to be the sacred place of daily reverence by Buddhists. I was 16 and I was there too, a few feet from the stupa.

Very recently, I heard of another change. Out of the blue, His Majesty King Sihanouk ordered to transfer Buddha's relics from Cakya Moni Cheddei to Oudong Hill, some 20 km to the Northwest of Phnom Penh where ashes of kings and princes were to be burried. The original Cakya Moni Cheddei is still at its old place.

Now we have a new story about Buddhist relics. What is going on? Can anybody clarify? Maybe "Buddhist relics" are not to be taken for "Buddha's relics."

Thank you.

Sen. Chhang Song
Former Minister of Information of Cambodia

justinm at ucr.edu