[Tlc] L-Center for Lao Studies

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Thu May 14 07:21:02 PDT 2009

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

Sabaydii,

In alignment with the Center for Lao Studies' (CLS) mission to advance knowledge and engagement in the field of Lao Studies through research, education and information sharing, CLS will launch its inaugural eight-week Summer Study Abroad in Laos (SAIL) program this June.  The SAIL program is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for Americans to learn about and experience Laos through language classes, country-specific courses, cultural exposure trips, and through volunteering with Lao national and international organizations - all in the capital city, Vientiane. Another aim of the program is to reconnect second generation Lao Americans growing up in the U.S. with their Lao roots, providing them with the opportunity to better understand their identity.

We have spent countless hours into planning the trip: making arrangements with Lao-American College and other institutions in Vientiane, partnering with various organizations, and working closely with participants on logistics. We will continue to promote and develop the SAIL program.

Response to the program has been enthusiastic, especially among young Lao Americans.  However, since we planned and budgeted for more students, we are making a final plea to our friends and community members to help support the SAIL program so we could continue to provide opportunities for Lao and non-Lao American students the experience of living and studying in Laos.

The Center for Lao Studies knows this is a tough year financially for many, yet hopes you will be able to assist us in jumpstarting a program that we believe will be included in university study abroad programs in the future, and provide valuable cultural exchanges between Lao and Americans. We thank many of you who have been very generous with your support of CLS's other programs. We hope you realize that giving to CLS means supporting quality programs with results that positively impact the community.

Our goal is to raise $5,000 by June 15, 2009, the equivalent of one student's program fee for eight weeks in Laos. Please donate whatever you can, $1,000, $500, $100, $50, or $20 so that the program can continue with all elements - educational, cultural and volunteer - intact. Every dollar counts! CLS will use 100% of the donations to cover the SAIL program costs.  Thus any contribution you make will go to transportation, accommodation, teacher fees, educational materials, and cultural exposure experiences.

To make an on-line donation, please click here: https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=23950 or fill out the form below and send it in with your contribution.

Warmest Regards,

Vinya Sysamouth, Ph.D.
CLS Executive Director

P.S. For those who live in the San Francisco Bay Area, please come out and support the Center for Lao Studies' food and information booths at the Asian Heritage Street Celebration on Saturday May 16, 2009 in San Francisco (at Larkin and Turk, 11am-6pm). We will sell delicious authentic Lao food at the festival to raise money for the SAIL program. For more info on the festival please visit: http://www.asianfairsf.com/

---------------------------------------
Yes, I would like to support the Center for Lao Studies' SAIL program, here is my one-time gift of:
[  ] $35            [  ] $50            [  ] $100           [  ] $250           [  ] $500
[  ] $1,000       [  ] $3,000        [  ] $5,000        [  ] Other $_______

I would like to become a sustaining Center for Lao Studies Giver, by making a monthly gift of:
 [  ] $10          [  ] $25            [  ] $50             [  ] $100           [  ] $250           [  ] Other $_____

Name:________________________________________________________________
Organization (if any):__________________________________________________
Address:______________________________________________________________
City, State, Zip code, Country:_________________________________________
Email:__________________________Phone:________________________________

[  ] My check in US Dollars is enclosed, payable to Center for Lao Studies
[  ] Charge my credit card: [  ] Visa       [  ] MasterCard
[  ] I will donate on-line with a credit card at: http://www.laostudies.org

Card Number:_____________________________ Exp. Date:_________________
Name on credit card:__________________________________________________
Tel:___________________________________________________________________

The Center for Lao Studies is a non-profit organization with 501(c)3 status. Donations made to CLS may be tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.

Mailing Address:
CENTER FOR LAO STUDIES
65 Ninth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

The Center for Lao Studies would like to thank the following individuals, businesses, organizations, foundations, and CLS members for their generous contributions. To view the most updated list of donors, please visit: http://laostudies.org/content/view/70/116/

$5,000-$9,999
Pida Kongphouthone
California Capital & Investments Group
www.teampida.com
Thang Nguyen

$1,000-$4,999
John Hartmann, NIU
Amana,Touk and Dha Sinantha
SpectrumTrust's Asian Pacific Endowment, in collaboration with The Saint Paul Foundation
Lao Assistance Center of Minnesota

$500-$999
Somsonge Burusphat
Walter Corbiere
Gregory Green
Boike Rehbein

$100-$499
Ian Baird
Into Champon & Assoc., A Law Corporation
Carol J. Compton
John C. Holt
Christine Inthachith
Varisa Kamalanavin