[Tlc] L - req for help - 1940-50 picture IDs

H. Leedom Lefferts lleffert at drew.edu
Thu May 7 10:45:38 PDT 2009

Dear Colleagues –

A friend of a friend, whose grandfather took several trips to Laos in
the 1940’s and ‘50’s, has given me a set of magic lantern-size color
slides, mounted in glass plates, approx. 1.5 x 2.5 inches.  We know
nothing about where they came from, other than Laos, and the approximate
dates.  The slides depict everything from a boat festival to scenes of
feasting, and several war scenes, including one in which people seem to
be celebrating Songkhran while a battle, including airplanes, takes
place behind and above them.  These pictures appear to be photos of
paintings/drawing in frames, as evidenced by borders showing around some
of the edges.  3 much compressed scanned copies of the 7 larger scanned
pictures are attached to this message.  The slides are marred by fungus.

I’d like to know if anyone knows anything about these.  Are they perhaps
of real scenes from the period?  Does anyone know who might have done
them?  I can send copies of the other 4 pictures if they are wanted.

Your comments, ideas, and answers are gratefully appreciated.  You can
talk with me off-list if you wish:  LLEFFERT at drew.edu.  Thanks, Leedom
Lefferts