[Tlc] TL-Hmong refugees

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 9 07:45:11 PDT 2009

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

2009-0309 - Xinhua - Refugees in Thailand seek rights body help to stop forced repatriation

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-03/09/content_10975683.htm

Refugees in Thailand seek rights body help to stop forced repatriation
www.chinaview.cn 2009-03-09 13:06:29

BANGKOK, March 9 (Xinhua) -- Hmong refugees in Thailand's northern province of Petchaboon on Monday called upon the National Human Rights Commission to stop what they have called Thai military's forced repatriation.

The Hmong refugees at Huay Nam Khao village of Petchaboon province accused that the Thai military overseeing their camp has blocked food supply to them in order to push them to join the repatriation program, the website by The Nation newspaper reported.

Lee Sue, Hmong leader said Thai authorities have also arrested a number of Hmongs in the camp as demanded by Laos' officials recently.

"We would not return to face punishment in Laos. I will fight until the end of my life to resist the repatriation," the website quoted him as saying.

Laos and Thailand have regarded the group as normal illegal migrants to seek better lives in Thailand and perhaps third countries with assistance of human traffickers and have agreed to repatriate all of them to Laos.?

Editor: Fang Yang

Copyright ©2009 Xinhua News Agency. All rights reserved.
justinm at ucr.edu