[Tlc] TL-railway

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri Mar 6 07:30:45 PST 2009

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

2009-0306 - BKK Post - New train service opens up vital link

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/12813/new-train-service-opens-up-vital-link

THAI-LAO FRIENDSHIP
New train service opens up vital link

By: NAOWARAT SUKSAMRAN
Published: 6/03/2009 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News

NONG KHAI : Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn stepped aboard the train yesterday to become the first passenger on the rail service linking Thailand and Laos.

The Princess rang the departure bell at Nong Khai station at 9.30am and the train pulled out to begin its maiden journey across the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge over the Mekong river, arriving at Thanaleng in Laos at 10am.

The Princess was joined on the journey by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, cabinet ministers and senior State Railway of Thailand staff. Lao Vice President Bounnhang Vorachit and Public Works and Transport Minister Sommad Pholsena greeted the Princess at Nong Khai and joined her on the train.

About 10,000 Thais and Lao witnessed the launch of the service.

The 3.5km line is the first phase of a rail link between the two countries. The Thai government has given Laos a soft loan and a 197-million-baht grant to build the railway from the middle of the bridge, joining the track on the Thai side which has been in place since 1994, to Thanaleng. Construction began in October 2006 and was completed in April last year.

Porn Suriyawong, 79, a Thai-Lao who settled in Nong Khai and donated five rai for the rail link project, said she was delighted to see the Princess and to join her on the rail trip.

"From now on, we will have a new transport route which is more convenient," she said. "I'm glad the rail link facilitates the transport of Thai and Lao people. It will help people from the two neighbouring countries get closer."

She recalled that when she was about 14 years old, she and her vendor friends ferried goods from Thailand across the Mekong by boat to sell them in Laos.

They had to hawk the goods all day in order to sell everything. At night, they stayed with relatives in Laos before taking a boat back to Thailand the following day.

"Our trips took time in the past as there was no public transport.

"There were only ferry boats. Since the Friendship Bridge was built, life is more comfortable as vehicles cross the border. Now, we have train services," Mrs Porn said.

Thongkaew Piewbang, 62, a native of Nong Khai, said she woke up at 6am to welcome the Princess and buy train tickets for her and her husband to take the first train to Laos.

"We have been waiting a long time for this train service. We wanted to ride this train to join the others on its maiden voyage," said Mrs Thongkaew, one of many passengers who formed a long queue to buy rail tickets.

A 9km link is to be built from Thanaleng to Vientiane.

The fare on an air-conditioned passenger train is 50 baht per trip, 30 baht on a second-class train and 20 baht for a third-class seat. Passengers wanting to cross the border to Laos must show a border pass or passport to officials.

Princess Sirindhorn today will preside over a stone-laying ceremony for the third Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge linking the northeastern province of Nakhon Phanom with Laos's Thakhek.

justinm at ucr.edu