[Tlc] Sasana pru

Carbine Jason jcarbine at whittier.edu
Mon Jan 26 14:31:48 PST 2009

Dear List Members,

A question for any familiar with the Buddhist contexts of SE Asia and Sri Lanka:  Are there in Thai, Lao, and Khmer, and Sinhala languages phrases that parallel the Burmese phrase 'Sasana pru'  (doing the work of religion), pronounced along the lines of 'tha-tha-na pyu'?  I am not so much interested in phrases like the Sinhala 'pinkama' (making merit), nor in Pali phrases like 'sasanam visodheti,' as these are not quite what I am looking for.  Please feel free to reply on or off list.

Thanks,
-Jake

Jason Carbine, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Religious Studies Whittier College
13406 Philadelphia Street
P.O. Box 634
Whittier, CA 90608-0634
562-907-4200, ext 4339 (voice)