[Tlc] Contributions sought for edited volume on funeral cultures: Burmese, Theravada ethnic minorities and ethnic Chinese in Theravada countries

Patrice Ladwig patrice at gmx.net
Wed Jan 7 05:35:50 PST 2009

Hi Justin!

happy new year! I hope things are going well. You should work less and write less emails, insomniac ;-)

Could you please post the following 'call for contributors' on TLC?

Thanks very much!

All the best,

Patrice

-=============================

Contributions sought for edited volume on funeral cultures:
Burmese, Theravada ethnic minorities and ethnic Chinese in Theravada countries

Dear all,

The Centre for Buddhist Studies (Department of Theology and Religious
Studies) at the University of Bristol is carrying out a research
project on Buddhist death rituals of Southeast Asia and China.  We are
planning to publish an edited volume at the end of the project and so
far have contributions for Lao, Thai, Khmer and Chinese Buddhism. We
are still looking for people that work on Burmese Buddhism, 'ethnic
minority Buddhism' in Southeast Asia and funeral traditions of ethnic
Chinese in the Theravada countries of mainland Southeast Asia. Most of
the contributions shall move along the interface of practice and texts
and combine anthropological and textual approaches. However, works
focusing only on one of these or other fields are also welcome and we
are also interested in research on post-mortem and commemoration rites.
A quick overview of some of our research questions can be found here:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/thrs/buddhistcentre/deathritual/questions.html

Time schedule: we are planning to receive the contributions in autumn
2009, then review them and plan the publication with a prominent
publisher in spring 2010. The principal investigator of the project,
Professor Paul Williams, is going to be responsible for the editing
process and is going to write an introduction for the volume.

In case you are interested, please get in touch with us. In case you
know someone who works in the above-mentioned fields, we would be
grateful if you could forward our message to your interested
colleagues.

Prof. Paul Williams: Paul.Williams at bristol.ac.uk
Dr. Patrice Ladwig: huxpl at bristol.ac.uk

Thanks very much and with very best wishes for 2009,
Patrice

Dr. Patrice Ladwig
Research Assistant
Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
3 Woodland Road
BS8 1TB Bristol, UK
--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a