[Tlc] TLC-SEASSI alum

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Wed Feb 18 18:50:44 PST 2009

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

Dear Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute Alumnus:

SEASSI is in its 25th year of service to the field of Southeast Asian Studies.  As you may also be aware, 2009 is also the 50th anniversary of Title VI legislation and its promotion of international education.

To mark these anniversaries, I am sending the following survey to as many SEASSI alumni as I can locate.  The purpose of the survey is not to focus exclusively on your SEASSI experience, but instead to ask you to reflect for a few moments on the impact that international education opportunities (such as FLAS fellowships, SEASSI, and advanced language programs abroad) have had on your career.  I also seek your perspective on the value that SEASSI and other international education programs have on addressing the need in the U.S. for the many sectors of the workforce to have international expertise and language capability.

We were able to find current (I hope!) email addresses for roughly one-third of SEASSI’s alumni.  If you keep in touch with any of your SEASSI classmates, I would certainly appreciate it if you could forward this email to them also.  Survey results will be compiled and shared at the upcoming Title VI 50th Anniversary Conference, March 19-21, 2009.  Please email me your responses at your earliest convenience.

We are also discussing the possibility of a 25th Anniversary SEASSI alumni conference. The final question on the survey asks for information on how to keep in contact with you about this event.

I realize that everyone is extremely busy, and you may not have time to respond.  I appreciate whatever time and attention you can give to this!

Mary Jo Wilson, SEASSI Program Coordinator
Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Room 207 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, WI  53706
phone:  608-263-1755
fax:  608-263-3735