[Tlc] T-Taksin/Thaksin

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 23 08:50:56 PDT 2009

Forwarded from Dr. Thongchai Winichakul.
Thanks,
justin
P.S. I attach a short reference guide I wrote on romanization of Thai and Lao (and Pali and Sanskrit words in Thai and Lao) a few years ago. There has been little agreement on the "proper" way to transliterate/romanize Thai and Lao over the years. There has been considerable debate on this issue and everyone has their "own" system. It does produce funny results often!

On the lighter side of political mess in Thailand:

Justin's subject line is "T-Taksin". The story is all about "Thaksin", and
not even a word about "Taksin".

I assume that it is romanization slip. The spellings in Thai for "Thaksin"
and "Taksin", as the King of Thonburi is commonly known, are entirely
different in every letter.  Their etymological roots are totally different
too: one is a Sanskrit word meaning the south, the other is a folkish
abbreviation for the Lord of Tak (a muang) whose personal name was Sin. But
their romanized forms are different only by one letter.

But even in Thai, the relations of two names are sometimes seditious. A few
weeks ago, the Democrats claimed that they have found a secret plan by
"Thaksin" for urban unrest to undermine the constitutional monarchy. The
plan, according to the Democrats, was named the "Taksin" scheme. (By the
way, the military said they had no idea about the alleged scheme but they
would look into it, following the lead by the Democrats!)

Why? Why not another king's name? Well, one of the most seditious historical
mysteries in Thailand was how the Chakri dynasty came to power and what they
did to King Taksin. By labelling "Taksin" to the alleged Thaksin's
conspiracy, the Democrats intentionally played with such known popular
mystery.

Imagine a headline in English with a romanization slip: "Taksin Is Back to
Power: Claiming the Current Regime is Murderous"

(If NotTheNation is interested in this slip, please contact me for
permission.)

Thongchai

justinm at ucr.edu