[Tlc] T-response to the "joke"

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 15 09:12:45 PDT 2009

Forwarded from Dr. Thongchai Winichakul. I was sent a "joke" application. I knew it was a joke (it wasn't subtle for anyone who reads Thai). However, I sent it out because it was sent in by a member and I am trying to be equitable and sending out messages from all our members.

Professor Winichakul's response is definitely worth reading and thinking about during these confusing, violent, oppressive, and sad times.

Best regards,
justin

I don't know what this joke ("Red-shirt application") suggests, or what the
sender implies. And I respect Justin's job as a "postman". But the joke
reminds me of 33 years ago when students were ridiculed as idiotic
Vietnamese communists. Not a day went by without cartoons or flyers of jokes
about Vietnemese and communists. After many students got killed in the Oct
76 massacre, the "jokes" about them continued a long while. Their deaths
were funny to some. As many were in jail, their families got ridiculed at
work and by their neighbors.

Last month as I launched the campaign for the reform of the lese majeste
law, I got several anonymous emails. You can guess what kind of emails. A
few of them are "jokes" about my Chinese parents, my career as an
intellectual prostitute in the US, and my less-than-human, stupid and
un-Thai life.

Remember a taxi driver, Nuamthong Praiwal, who crashed his car against a
tank on Sept 19, 2006, to protest against the coup? As he was still alive
after the crash, he was ridiculed in public by one of the coup leaders. A
day after he was released from hospital, he hanged himself from a pedestrian
bridge to protest the coup again. He left a suicide note which is one of the
most powerful political statements in Thai political history. His protest
and his fight for democracy was not a joke. Had he been alive, it is 100%
certain that he would be among the Red-shirt protesters.

One of the most thoughtless "jokes" in Thai and international media is the
protrayal that these Red shirt protesters only fought for Thaksin for no
reason, and for 500 baht. On Monday, I listened to the leaders of the
Red-shirt protest at what they believed to be their final hour before
getting killed. Veera Musikapong, the top leader, talked about his rocky
political career because of his stubborn convictions. He talked about his
deep believe in (Buddhist) Karma and why he fights this battle as a good
Buddhist. Their fight -- with all the mistakes and shortfalls -- was highly
honorable. Right now jokes about them and the Red-shirt people, their fight
and their defeat, are not in short supply. The Red shirt Application is an
example of them.

All of these "jokes" are funny only to those who see their political
opponents less worth, perhaps less human, than they are; their lives, their
convictions and their sacrifices worth little, perhaps less than an ugly,
distasteful joke itself. All of these jokes are thoughtless dehumanization
of those honorable people and their actions. These "jokes" are toxic to our
mind and our spirituality.

Thongchai Winichakul

justinm at ucr.edu